Fixing to Dot N Dab

We have an epidemic of new build houses around here, all with internal block walls lined with plasterboard fixed by dabs of adhesive.

The new owners of these properties all seem to want large TVs, wall units & mirrors fixed to the walls.

Solution I use, gives a really strong fix & might be useful to others;

Rawlplug 'UNO' brown 7mm plugs. These work well in pretty much any material.

3" x 10 or 4" x 10 Quicksilver screws, depending on thickness of fixture.

Assuming its a TV bracket; Mark wall through one fixing hole at top of bracket. Drill 7mm hole. You will most likely drill through the plasterboard, then into the block, simply because a larger area of the board 'doesn't' have adhesive.

Insert plug, place point of screw into plug & give a sharp tap. You will feel the plug enter the block itself. Now offer up bracket & do up screw till almost tight. I do this with a hand held screwdriver, it gives you a better feel for how tight the fixing is.

Level the bracket - much easier now one corner is fixed, mark the wall, swing bracket aside, drill & plug other holes as above.

Should you drill through a dab of adhesive, simply fix as usual.

I've not found a need for spacers.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I have a better technique than this. I use Rigifix wall anchor kits.

Its basically an over sized plastic plug with a metal insert and then a screw.

drill a 10mm hole

tap in plastic plug with mallet

screw in metal sleeve with an allen key all the way into the plastic plug. This expands the plastic plug so it grips the blockwork along its sides.

Then offer up the TV bracket, and then screw metal screws into the metal sleeves you have just put in.

see:

They even work in thermalite block as well as celcon block and aerated blocks.

Reply to
Stephen

Do you not find the PB "pulls in" if you do up the fixings tight or the load is heavy?

Reply to
John Rumm

The bracket spreads the load, so no, I haven't found that.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Pack of four £5:99. My method 7p each.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That I like - thanks!

Reply to
Tim Watts

I just use long frame fixings - very cheap from toolstation, so the expansion is in the blocks. Drill 7mm for an 8mm fixing in thermalite and knock in. Also this does not tend to pull in the plasterboard like a screw and plug can. I've been known to drill out the fixing holes to 8mm if needed. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Precisely.... Thats the beauty of rigifix.... it does not pull the board in.

Reply to
Stephen

I have used frame fixers like those used on door frames and window frames.

It works well provided you are fitting onto a cavity wall as I find I need to drill through into the cavity otherwise when you put the frame fixer in, dust piles up wthin the hole and without breakthrough into the cavity, the dust has no where to go and jams up the frame fixer.

If you are putting battens or other thick stuff on, I end up using longer screws into shorter plastic plugs, say 100 mm screw into a 80mm plug and hence end up discarding the short screws and the long plastic plugs.

Reply to
Stephen

One pack holds a tonne, roughly. How many packs do you need to lift the average family house?

Reply to
GB