Re: SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

I AM surprised that you have spent so much time debating this one issue. I'm not trying to kill the messenger. I just don't agree that it is a wise idea for the government to get involved in this type of legislation. Who was calling you names? I'll kick their butts!

Sorry to hear you tweaked your blade...

dave

Le> I thought it was 50.... Gee s are you bored... Ha...

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

It is NOT available. Pre-orders on the off chance it ever gets produced can be had.

Charlie Self

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. Dorothy Parker

Reply to
Charlie Self

Leon responds:

Good. I dind't see the humor and plonked the guy. That SHIT is totally unneeded.

Charlie Self

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. Dorothy Parker

Reply to
Charlie Self

No, I'll be perfectly content to leave that to the scientists. Go have a look at the URL I provided (cited above). It's been well-known for a couple centuries that contaminated water is a public health hazard; I didn't invent that notion.

Are you contending that table saws are a threat to public safety?

I never said those things.

My position is that it should be left to the choice of the purchaser, whether to buy the $aw$top or not. Your position is that the government should require it, regardless of whether the purchaser wants it.

My point was that government mandates had *nothing* to do with the development of electrical codes.

*Any* loss of my freedom bothers me.

That was me. If you're accusing me of hypocricy in what I posted, I guess I'm a little too dense to see it.

Doug Miller

Why is it so hard to understand that anyone buying a new table saw *will* be forced to buy the $aw$top?

Not if this petition is adopted by the CPSC, you can't. You won't have the choice.

Doug Miller

"SawStop Table Saws Now Available"

>I'd consider one on my nest saw also. Why next? I have no idea when, if

I would have considered one for my next saw too, had it not been for $aw$top's latest ploy. Leon keeps harping on the importance of safety, saying that we need a government mandate to protect everyone -- but he's not concerned enough about his own safety to buy one.

YES THEY DO.

Doug Miller

Like always Charlie, you are a stand up guy..

Reply to
Leon

Mike,

I answered so many posts for such a long time yesterday that I will have to take your work on what you say I said and or what you think you said... LOL... This is what makes our country great. We can all show our views and that is OK. If the views were always one sided or no one ever stepped up to voice another opinion, this would be a boring place. I appreciate you concern about the government getting more involved in our lives. I can also appreciate or accept that some times we have to give up a little to get something else that may want. Life often throws us a curve and we have to compromise to maintain the course. This issue is one that I am willing to compromise on. I don't expect you or any one else to change their minds unless you do so willfully.

Reply to
Leon

bought it used and whoever

cuts in them when they ran

At least you can have the satisfaction of knowing that it was not you that did the deed.. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

In article , "Leon" wrote: [snip]

Leon, it's fine with me if you're willing to compromise on that. The problem is that $aw$top wants to use the power of the Federal government to force every table saw buyer to make the same compromise, whether they are willing to do so or not -- and that's contrary to the principles of freedom.

Doug Miller

I got to thinking about why this sticks in my craw so much when mandated air bags don't. Several thoughts.

First of all, this thing is apparently not something that one can add aftermarket to an existing saw - that's not what they invented (right?). Instead, they have something that would entail a manufacturer changing their product to accomodate their invention. Or buy SS's own saw. This is probably a major reason that it's not a big hit. So, they're trying to ram it down our throats rather than, say, modifying the design to be installable aftermarket.

I can see certain places encountering a liablity if a product such as the saw stop was available and not purchased - like high school shops.

Now, the comparison with air bags is kinda fuzzy. For one thing, could it be air bags were not immediately a hit because of their cost, particularly in proportion to the overall vehicle cost? Personally, I'm kinda glad that they're installed and don't have such a negative reaction on the mandate for such. Because, as safe as I may drive, someday I may come across the idiot in the other vehicle who smacks my car and this will be completely beyond my control. But also, I don't think there's only one manufacturer of air bags.

There's just something wrong with the sole entity who stands to gain financial benefit trying to secure mandated regulation so that folks are forced to buy their product.

Renata

Reply to
Renata

How do you figure that? I'm not aware of any principle of freedom that allows taking innocent life, simply because it's inconvenient.

Doug Miller

On 11 Jul 2003, Doug Miller spake unto rec.woodworking:

The Supreme Court disagrees - women have been free to have abortions for 30 years now, whether you like it or not. Your hypocrisy is in supporting only those freedoms that you agree with.

Reply to
Scott Cramer

I don't view it that way. Rather, I see it as a hierarchy of rights, and if the right to life itself is denied, all other rights are pretty much meaningless.

Doug Miller

What, your safety is not important enough to buy one of them "Powermatic" style saws with the SawStop now? You told me a few months ago that the saw is available - even pointed me to a web site.

I guess the old adage applies - if it looks like a hypocite, smells like a hypocrite, and walks like a hypocrite, it must be a hypocrite.

Don't worry Leon. Sounds like there are plenty of us willing to fight this. Rick

Reply to
Rick Chamberlain

Answering yourself is OK. It's when you start arguing with yourself that you have a problem.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

well, they'll fall until the company decides to either stop making table saws, or goes out of business. in either case, the competition will decrease, which tends to force prices up.

Reply to
Charlie Spitzer

As I understand it different types of calibration are required for dado blades and molding heads. I haven't looked at their specs lately, so they may have gotten something figured out that doesn't require a separate cartridge for the different types of blades.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Rick Chamberlain insists:

He can't. You can't. I can't. None o' God's chillun can.

Can some of you people understand that: the frigging saw is NOT ON THE MARKET YET...and may never be, with all the bad will the inventors have managed to stir up.

Charlie Self

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. Dorothy Parker

Reply to
Charlie Self

"Tim Douglass" > >

Now see there Tim,,,, you and I are trying to think of a solution. That is a great idea. Collectively we can offer alternative solutions that just might please us all. If some of the saws are required the work will get out and further government requirements might not have to come about. Outstanding Idea....

Reply to
Leon