Re: Petition Sawstops Directly

Wanna bet that the owners of Sawstop are registered Republicans with a conservative bent?

Charlie Self

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. Dorothy Parker

Reply to
Charlie Self

They may well be. I doubt that they are on the side of the "bought by trial lawyers" Democrats.

Phil

Charlie Self wrote:

Reply to
PC

Dunno. But I was told that all the owners of SawStop were lawyers...enginers, too, but also lawyers.

It really doesn't pay to use political labels in such situations, unless you have an absolute love of being wrong 70 or 80% of the time.

Charlie Self

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. Dorothy Parker

Reply to
Charlie Self

Kinda like registering your handguns . . . once they know you've got a TS - you're screwed. :-) I wonder if they'll levy a tax on the things and if they'll fine you without having one? Then when they come out each year and "test" your sawstop (at about a $125 fee of course) who will have to pay for the weiner? And who replaces it when the gov't idiot says : "It's okay now. Go ahead and replace it and fill out the new paperwork within 2 weeks."

Oh - I can see the proverbial "snowball" rolling downhill on this one!

Jums

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

But then again . . .

I live in Texas and since we're going through a re-districting battle down here - maybe they'll have Houston in the Gulf of Mexico before it's all said and done and we won't have to worry about it! LOL!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

No, emails are easily deletedand ignored. Remember that sawstop first tried to make a run by offereing their product to the public and not enough people were interested. They presumably have a lot of capital tied up in developing the product and want to recover their money. They are doing whatever they can think of.

If you want to object where it counts, the agency they are lobbying must be informed of our extreme disapproval. Who is it they are lobbying? Hopefully some elected body.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

CPSC -answered my own question

After looking at their website, I couldn't find an email address for concerns over pending legislation, but there is the general info address of snipped-for-privacy@cpsc.gov and their toll free number 800-638-2772

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

If SawStop is truly interested in safety and that is their primary objective they could make this technology available to all comers at a modest cost. I suspect that the reluctance of manufacturers to embrace the technology is not just the cost of incorporating the hardware changes but also a hefty license fee to SawStop. Has SawStop disclosed what the licensing terms are? Are they too onerous for a manufacturer to embrace them?

SawStop in my opinion has one objective: to make money. Since they can't sell to willing customers they want the Government to force customers to buy. This is wrong.

I have seen similar attempts waged by folks making air quality sensors. Watch for the use of those to be mandated broadly soon. The free market is a wonderful thing, for Government to destroy it by marketing selectively under the guise of safety is reprehensible.

Phil

David B. Chamberla> If you go to the SawStop website, there is a contact page. That gives you

Reply to
Phil

But really now... Should something like that even have received a patent? Many of cars never had intermittent wipers. So, being of at least average intelligence, we used one hand to hit the switch every once in a while.

It is hardly an "invention" to put a delay on it.

-zach

Reply to
Zach Tomas

Well then by that reasoning, dusk to dawn lights shouldn't have a patent because anyone of average intelligence can turn on a light switch.

Reply to
Steve

While I tend to agree with you on this - can you help me understand how this differs from airbags and seat belts and (in some states) helmets?

The govt has long played a role in mandated "safety" - are you simply saying "Enough is enough?"

Thanks

Reply to
tnfkajs

Airbags and seatbelts protect you from other people's carelessness over which you have no control. Tablesaw safety is not affected by outside factors unless you have someone come into your shop and randomly turn the saw on and off.

Reply to
Steve

Saw stop is petitioning to have their device legislated as mandatory equipment on all table saws sold in the US. When the device first came out I was behind them 100% but I have no tolerance for this type of "marketing" and as such have removed my support from them. If you want more info, the actual petition is on Sawstop's own web site and you can draw their own conclusions.

Good luck Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

Side note. Sawstop used to be one of the vendors that frequented and was welcomed to this forum. That stopped when they started to hear what they didn't want to hear...that the WW community was turning against them because of the way they're choosing to goto market... Guess they weren't "real" woodworkers after all..

Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

The most significant difference to me is that I don't recall seat belts and air bags being patented and held as intellectual property by just one company.

Phil

tnfkajs wrote:

Reply to
PC

There are plenty of companies that make airbags and seatbelts. There's COMPETITION, not a monopoly. That's not so bad.

CJ

Reply to
Chris Johnson

Do not forget that the new cartridges are $69 each. I don't know what hitting that aluminum block does to your sawblade. If you do some math it hardly sounds effective for a lot of the situations you would want it to protect against. They claim that it will cut 1/8" if you are moving at 1 foot per second. So move at 4 ft per second and you get a 1/2 inch cut - OUCH!. When a hand slips I usually find it is moving far faster than 1 foot per second. I can easily imagine it moving ten times that fast.

Oh, and Leon, even with an 1/8 cut you might still require a trip to the emergency room, you might be spared some of the rehabilitation though.

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

And have us come and test the new one before you cut any wood with it to make sure it is functional...

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

It occurs to me that if the regulatory bodies voided patent rights if a particular device was mandated fewer companies would petition to get their pet idea required.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Ever been to a speed shop, a hot rod/motorcycle show or a dragstrip? What people do to machinery on their own is largely outside the law. It would make some interesting test cases, though.

-- Ernie

Reply to
Ernie Jurick