Tool box on E Bay

Really don't think this guy is going to get $170.00 for this box do you? It starts at $99.99 and $69.99 shipping/handling, Not including Insurance. Thanks, Tony D.

Anthony Diodati

His feedback is 7178. He might know a thing or two about eBay. Keep an eye on the auction.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Yea, Its possible. I have it booked-marked. Just noticed a BIN price of $299.99 Tony D.

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

Reply to
Mark

Oh I know there Expensive, Thats about all its worth, TOPS, ($50.00) seeing it will need rebuilt. I got a pretty nice one at a flea market for $100.00, someone had started to strip it, so it needed re-finished, and the front panel was history, so I had to make a new ft. panel. Turned out nice though.

tony D.

Reply to
Anthony Diodati
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

Yes.

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

Powerball.

Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

It's a Gerstner ! (and an early one - it doesn' have the fat centre drawer to take a copy of Machinery's Handbook) You'll make that price easily.

It's not in bad condition either. Water damage to the outer carcase, but the innards look good. If it were mine, I'd repair the carcase and use it. If I dealt in such things, I'd quite possibly spend this much to buy it for parts. Machinist's toolboxes are heavy. If you drop one, the contents often bulldoze the drawers into lozenges. Spare drawers can be a useful repair.

Sadly it might even end up with the nameplate fastened to one of the modern Chinese copies of Gerstner toolboxes (look in Northern Tools' catalogue - they even copy the diamond mirror inside the lid), a bit of "patina" and then passing it off as genuine.

OTOH, I don't list things on eBay over Xmas. Might be a good time to sell Pepto-Bismol or fripperies to fools, but the serious collector trade tens to take time off.

-- Klein bottle for rent. Apply within.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Don't know about Ebay, but, if a collector kicks in, probably will make MORE than that. I was at a local auction yesterday afternoon, and, was jaw-droppingly amazed by the sale of a Stanley

45 in average shape (a post-1910 model), no box and with missing parts. Why? Well within 2 minutes or less the price went from $50 (which was low...to $75...which I thought was fair) to $400! On top of that, there was a 5%-8% buyer's premium and sales tax! I had stuck my hand up at $75...but just could not belive that someone would pay THAT much money for this plane. Life is amazing. Regards Dave Mundt
Reply to
Dave Mundt

Where?

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

On Buttermilk Road, off I-40 West, in East Tennessee, near Lenoir City. Here is a Mapblast pointer:

It is always an interesting thing to go to, although, man, sometimes the numbers get pretty amazing. On the other hand, I gather that some of the dealers that pick stuff up there also end up with an amazing markup. As an example, a pair of small rocking chairs, which sold for $75 each a bit ago got sighted in an antiques store a bit later - marked up to $375 each. Working the tourist trade! Regards Dave Mundt

P.S. Their next auction is the 30th, If I remember correctly.

Reply to
Dave Mundt

SO and I went to an auction Tuesday.

There was a like new/ very little use AP-400 Delta DC, I started the bidding at $50 and dropped out at $80 or $90.

It went for either $145 or $150.

They can be found cheaper than that new.

Reply to
Mark