Nooitgedagt shoulder plane

Anyone tried these? I DAGS and found some references from a couple of years ago. Back then guys were paying about $50 and were very happy. I'm a little skeptical considering the price on eBay. If they're the real deal, then it doesn't look bad.

Reply to
Donnie Vazquez

Donnie Vazquez

Hi this was unusual for me to see here as it is a dutch manufacturer,they are still made and yes it is the real deal.In fact I would say that 50% of dutch carpenters still use wooden planes on site.Now a subsidury of Irwin Nooitgedagt still make chisels,planes and marking tools.chisels suck but the dutch still consider them to be the best.wouldnt pay to much for one though Russell

Reply to
Russell

Correction: last year, Nooitgedagt was bought by AmericanTool, which was bought by Irwin, which decided to close the factory by the end of last summer. So: no more Nooitgedagt..

And yes: in Holland Nooitgedagt chisels are (were?) considered to be among the best. Dunno if they're really that good. For me, they work just fine.

Greetz, Theo

Reply to
Theo Veenstra

One more company eaten by Rubbermaid, just like Record. They seem to enjoy buying and closing WWing companies. Take a look at the Rubbermaid website and see what they own, then try to get to the divisions. A lot of the links don't seem to go anywhere, or at least they didn't last time I went looking for these planes and Record vises. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave in Fairfax

I got one. It's unfinished, works great. I'm still learning to set the depth properly, but I can get fluffy shavings. Too deep a cut jams the throat with zigzag. Seriously considering buying one or both of the other planes, too.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

I was hoping someone would say that :-)

Thanks

Reply to
Donnie Vazquez

"This is a great tool to add to any wood carver's collection". Sounds like the seller really knows his stuff. :)

CW