Bandsaw Choices

I posted a message some time ago about going in on a bandsaw with a friend of mine and I asked this forum for advise on how to go about it. It appears that the best advise was not to do it...... Some recent events have made me glad that my 1/2 of the bandsaw isn't sitting in his garage right now.

Anyway, I'm now looking for a bandsaw to squeeze into my garage (hmm, perhaps I can get rid of that chest freezer.....).

After attending the Houston WW show, I fell in love with the Laguna 16HD and the MM 16. Problem is they both run about $2,000 and that's a little out of reach right now. Two bandsaws that I am considering are the Jet JWBS-18 and the Laguna 14SE. They are both in the same price range. Also in the same price range is the Laguna 16 (not the 16HD) but I've read too many bad comments about it on the Laguna forum.

I would like a resaw capability of about 10" and they both have that. The

14SE actually has larger resaw capability then the Jet 18.

The Jet has a slightly larger max blade size, a larger table size, bearing guides (not sure if that's good or bad), the blade tension handle is on the bottom (good for those that are height challenged) and I have a $100 coupon from buying their canister DC...... I'm a little concerned about the quality.

The Laguna has a good reputation for build and the one I saw at the WW show performed very well. The motor is slightly larger than the Jet (2hp vs 1.5) and the overall construction seemed to be better than the Jet. They have ceramic guides but, once again, I don't know if that's good or bad (seems to be a religious topic in the WW world......).

I would appreciate any input, especially from anyone that owns either of these two saws.

Reply to
woodydelsur

Woody, I have the new Jet 16" It is a very good bandsaw. The 18" looks just like it only larger. My friend got the Laguna 16. Hated it. Returned it and got the Jet 16. Mine handles a 1" 3 TPI blade perfectly and resawing like crazy. Dave

TeamCasa

Mini Max is introducing a couple of new bandsaw on the lower end. I have no idea what price, but they look like decent machines. I have the MM16 and love it... and the way the company treats me.

Recommend you give them a call at least.

HTH

Reply to
Doug Cook

Woodcraft having a everything 10% sales on Feb. 26. Jet 16" JWBS 16 $799.99, Fence $99.99, Roller guide $129.99

I'm still debating Grizzly 17" around $7XX.

Reply to
WD

FWIW, I was recently able to use a riser-equipped,USA made Delta 14", now known as the X5, and a Jet 18", literally back to back in a school shop. I compared these two, as I could get the Jet for only slightly more than the X5.

I bought the Delta, as I preferred it's overall feel and the higher height of the table. I figure if I really need a bigger table, I can always make a temporary top from MDF, or even use my shop made drill press table. I don't really care about stuff like fences on bandsaws, as I can usually make my own in a minute or two, with clamps and scrap.

I haven't tried it, but would imagine that the Laguna should blow them away, due to the price difference. If you feel that the Jet is in the same league as the Laguna, try out an X5.

Have fun with whatever you buy, Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I talked to the MM rep at the Houston WW show. The new, lowend bandsaws are made in Asia somewhere, perhaps Taiwan, not in Italy like the MM16s etc. Just FYI.....I would really love to have a MM16...it would do for my bandsawing needs probably forever, but the Jet 14" one I own is marginal at best....

Reply to
Joseph Crowe

So? Taiwan will build to whatever spec you give them. You spec out a nice machine, that's what you're going to get. Besides, I thought one of their new saws was from Italy.

Reply to
Bestest Handsander

I'm curious, why did he hate it?

Reply to