FWIW: Laguna guides available for other brand bandsaws

I thought I would pass this along. I've been looking into bandsaws for sometime and decided to save my coins for a Laguna 14SE. I got an email from them today and noted that they are now selling their guides for other brands of bandsaws (Jet, Delta). The Laguna saws are built with all the usual things people look at for high end bandsaw performance. But the thing that they really, really are proud of is their ceramic guides. They are pricey ($225) and I doubt I would slap these on a $500 bandsaw. They might be something for consideration in upgrading a Jet or Delta 18, however.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

Damn, I've got a gloat. I bought the LT ceramic blade guides at a woodworking show a couple of years ago at a show price of $150. Won't handle a blade much wider than 1" bug hug up nice to 1/4 and 1/2" blades nicely.

LT is also pretty enthusiastic about their Resaw King carbide tipped, depth of each tooth's cut design resaw blade. And pricey - Lordy - a buck an inch and something like $35 to sharpen. On my LT16SEC that's $130. Doubt if one will ever find itself on my bandsaw unless someone was to give me one.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

I recall reading that this blade rules on cut quality but don't expect the same lifespan between sharpening that you would with a circular saw. Anyone with firsthand... chime in!

I. Thomas Portland OR Laguna LT14 etc

Reply to
xylene

I've had my 14SE for about 2 weeks, and am really pleased with it. The carbide resaw blade leaves a surface almost as smooth as a jointer. Really nice for bookmatching, since the less material you have to remove to get rid of the saw marks, the better the grain matches.

Clay Krum Texas

Reply to
Clay Foster

Lustful looks!

Did you order the special that included the mobile kit and blades with "free" shipping?

I'm so close to ordering and breaking the bank, I can't stand it. Your post did not help my will power. Were you considering other saws when you decided on Laguna? My common sense keeps telling me "All you need is that sweet little Powermatic 14 inch saw". I've got Jet green dollars to apply and its also 10% off today. But for only a few hundred dollars more I could have the Laguna. And of course I don't have to pay sales tax on the Laguna.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

Not sure about the LT14, but benny at laguna told me that there will be no

14SE's until April.

You may have to wait if you pull the trigger.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

I talked to Laguna yesterday. At that time, they were back ordered 88 machines. They were selling out of the container scheduled for March 25 arrival. The demand is so high that they are taking 25% deposits to reserve a machine.

They must be good.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

Bob,

Yeah, I got the special. It was mostly all things I needed (or wanted.)

I considered others, but decided the Laguna was worth the little bit extra. I don't know anything about Powermatic bandsaws or where they are made, but I do have a LOT of experience with many brands of wood lathes, and the Powermatic lathes made in the US have quality control problems. That's made me leery of all US Powermatic products.

Go for the Laguna. It's a lot of money, but you are going to be dead a long time, too.

Clay

Reply to
Clay Foster