Re: OT - Is it really worth saving any more?

Where??

Certainly not in Indiana, where I live. The only requirements for obtaining a permit for concealed carry are (a) passing a criminal background investigation, (b) being fingerprinted, and (c) payment of a modest fee.

Please note that I'm *not* commenting on, and don't intend to start a debate on, whether this is good, bad, or indifferent. Just stating that's the way it is.

Reply to
Doug Miller

LOL -- wonder who that was. Wouldn't surprise me if it was Dan Burton (R-Indiana).

The point is valid, though: all of the rights and freedoms guaranteed to us by the Constitution and Bill of Rights are only so many empty promises if we the people lack the means to compel the government to honor those guarantees should it ever become reluctant to do so on its own.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Here is the Arizona summary of gun laws:

no comment on good, bad, etc. One interesting point is training is required for concealed carry, but not for open carry.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

So now you're going to be patronizing? I've had and have considerable experience with firearms, rifles, target rifles and hand guns. I've also owned all three at one time or another including having a transport permit to take the hand guns to the gun range. 22-250 target rifle, Colt 45 hand gun, browning challenger 22 and a few other odds and ends. I have not had nor ever desire to have a concealed carry permit, something that is exceeding difficult to get in Canada.

Perhaps that's not sufficient for what you consider experience, but if that's the case I pity you for thinking more experience than that is needed. Don't for one second let your arrogance make you look like a fool Doug.

Reply to
Upscale

What does that training entail? There's two types of training. I can see basic gun training as learning how to safely handle a gun and perhaps some target shooting so when one uses a gun, they at least have a decent chance of hitting what they're aiming at.

Then there's the dozens of hours of situational training where one learns how to handle dangerous situations. Learning when a situation is threatening, how to possible avoid that threat or handle the situation with the possibility of minimizing violence and the need to shoot someone ~ similar things like that.

Don't you think the situational training is at least if not more important to know and learn than the basic training? The average person on the street has very little idea of how to extricate themselves from a dangerous situation other than shooting someone. Is it different in the US? Have you all been exposed to so much violence that you have the instincts to know what's best for most situations?

Does this make any sense? Of what use is basic training when all it comes down to is shooting a gun? There's much more to know and learn.

Reply to
Upscale

Is anyone [ Y - A - W - N ] still reading this [ Y - A - W - N ] thread?

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston

You're here so apparently your life is pretty boring.

Reply to
Upscale

Think of it as meaningful in the same sense that driver education is meaningful in relation to a drivers license. It amounts to squat. Forget I mentioned it. I agree with that entirely.

OTOH, the parallels are appropriate at many levels. Suppose I didn't like automobiles. Mortality and morbidity rates are on my side. Explain to me your need to own an operate private transportation.

Reply to
MikeWhy

The Supreme Court of the United States ruled several years ago that the average citizen DOES NOT have a Constitutional right to PERSONAL police protection. The Police are there to protect society not the indivicual.

Dave N

Reply to
David G. Nagel

Missouri has a concealed carry law that requires both class room training and range skills testing. Costs about US$120.

Reply to
David G. Nagel

No I don't think that it was Dapper Dan.

In a compromise the original Congress agreed to adopt amendments to the Constitution to cover certain rights that were left out of the original document. These became the first 10 amendments to the Constitution. What most people don't know or realize what became the 1st amendment was originally the THIRD of thirteen resolutions that were submitted to the

13 states. The first resolution became the 2nd amendment upon ratification by 7 states. You can look up the dates yourself.
Reply to
David G. Nagel

Doctors vs. Gun owners

Doctors

(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.

(B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.

(C) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.

Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of

Health and Human Services.

Now think about this:

Guns

(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000.

(Yes, that's 80 million)

(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups,is 1,500.

(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is .000188.

Statistics courtesy of FBI

So,statistically, doctors are approximately

9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

REMEMBER, GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE - DOCTORS DO

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat.

We must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand!!!!!

Out of concern for the public at large,

I withheld the statistics on lawyers

for fear the shock would cause people to panic and seek medical attention!

Tom

Reply to
Tom Bunetta

"Tom Bunetta" wrote

ROTFLMAO! ... good one, Tom.

But it might be the other way around. Brought to mind the video of that lawyer, and a disgruntled client with a pistol, dancing around a tree a couple of years back.

Reply to
Swingman

Used to be you learned firearms skills from your father, but not so much any more. I think it would good to have a mandatory marksmanship and gun safety class in high school. But it would never happen; imagine the noise the politically correct left wingnuts would make if you tried.

Reply to
Just Wondering

Reply to
Upscale

Could require a military boot camp semester for all high school students to graduate.

Now where will this end up

::stir::

Mark

Reply to
Markem

I recommend a mandatory fire arms training course. Mandatory completion and minimum target score to graduate.

The gang bangers will still shoot each other but at least they will know that you don't hold the gun sideways and they will be able to miss the innocent bystanders.

Dave

Reply to
David G. Nagel

I'm all for that! Wimmin too! And upon completion, allow them to take their weapon of choice home.

Reply to
Robatoy

Depends on who he's shooting at. If he's shooting at you, then by all means, let him hold the gun sideways. And when he's shot by someone else, at least he can say he was being fashionable when he was shot down.

Reply to
Upscale

I understand that Vietnam has 3 years of mandatory military training for everybody. Not service--there's additional training if they actually get called up--but training as part of the normal education. Now given that Vietnam is a certified ultraleftist liberal workers' paradise, one suspects that the Dems would jump right on such a plan.

Reply to
J. Clarke