RE: O/T, Largest Cash Crop

How does something like a glass of wine *not* alter your concious state? At the least, it will cause a mild warmth and feeling of relaxation. What you're saying is that a person can drink but not binge, and that is true of anything. There have been plenty of times where I have seen a person take one hit off a joint and then refrain from any further smoking- and they certainly didn't turn into the characters from reefer madness after that.

I'll preface the following with the statement that I have used absolutely no drugs in over five years, with the exception of the occasional couple of beers or a glass of wine now and then, usually in social situations.

I, like a lot of folks (if they're being honest) experimented with a number of drugs between the ages of 18-22. Nothing hard like heroin or cocaine, but I smoked my fair share of pot and even used LSD and mushrooms a couple of times. And I've seen plenty of other folks using far harder drugs on more than a few occasions. While you're right that they're used to change a person's mental state, there are all sorts of mental states that different substances cause in different people. I've never felt or seen any level of agression associated with marijuana- but I know damn well that if I even look at tequila sideways, I'm going to be picking a fight (so I don't drink it- ever.) A guy on LSD can freak out and cause himself or others a lot of harm, but a person who ate some funny mushrooms is likely to just sit under a tree and giggle. A meth addict will age twenty years in six weeks and become mentally retarded and loose their teeth before they die, and a cocaine user will steal from his own mother to get a fix (sometimes- not always.)

So here's my theory, for what it's worth. I'm young enough to have been through a D.A.R.E. anti-drug program in school. It was a joke to everyone in the class, and was more of an education in identifying drugs than anything else. But one thing it did do was very clearly equate marijuana and mild hallucinogenics with harder and more addictive substances like injected heroin and cocaine. I know- for a fact, that many of the people I knew growing up who developed addictions to hard drugs later in life felt like they had been lied to by everyone about drugs generally. A lot of them fell into trying pot, and when they found that it didn't do anything particularly frightening to them, they assumed (incorrectly) that everything they had been told about all drugs had been incorrect to the same degree- so they tried one or several of the others, and ended up with a monkey on their back.

If they (the government and educational system) would just stop the nonsense and admit that smoking a joint won't turn a person into a raving lunatic who is going to steal and kill to get his next fix, but is rather less dangerous than drinking alcohol, they'd gain a whole lot more credibility about the drugs that are *truly* dangerous, and that alone would go a long way towards reducing the drug problem.

Reply to
Prometheus

In article , Prometheus wrote: [snip]

I hereby nominate Prometheus as the nation's next "drug czar". This makes far more sense than anything coming out of Washington, for sure.

Reply to
Doug Miller

In a similar vein, this sounds just like the security measures taken at airports by the TSA. Take your shoes off. No bottles of water (from home.) I feel safer already.

Therefore I must surmise that real action must be difficult and the results may go unnoticed by the majority.

What is so difficult about law enforcement & security?

Reply to
George Max

Or as some of us came to call it: Drugs Are Real Expensive

Reply to
New Wave Dave

Legal or Illegal kind?

Reply to
George Max

Wed, Dec 20, 2006, 8:07am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (JP) doth lament: I DO NOT understand why this subject is in a Wood Working group. So PLEASE take this kind of crap & post it where it belongs. Sorry but this postF--- up the rest of my day. JP

If you need it explained to you, then you won't understand it anyway.

Or, you could just go to one of the woodworking forums, that only cover woodworking. Because, sure as anything, sooner or later, there'll be something else you won't be happy with. If you're too thin-skinned you won't be very happy here - and this is one of the most polite newsgroups.

JOAT Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.

- Eric Hoffer

Reply to
J T

"If they (the government and educational system) would just stop the nonsense"

"They" is us. Well, not you and I, of course, but "us" collectively.

As one can see from this list, "we" all hold rather strong opinions regardless the topic. And, as we live in a society that allows us to convert opinion into legislation (not withstanding, it appears, deference to the constitution) "we" regularly infringe on one another's liberties.

Once the laws are enacted and the mechanism's of enforcement are in place, each has its own "lobby" within the government whose existence depends upon "staying the course."

The government entities (and sub-entities) that have formed about the "war on drugs" are large, diverse and well-paid. [In our town, for instance, the D.A.R.E. officers received a weekly bonus for participating in the program and driving the confiscated corvette with all the D.A.R.E. labels upon it.]

In essence, we have created a funding mechanism for supporting the continuation and support of the initial legislation whereby the taxes of all of us contribute to the promotion of continuing the program(s).

Next time an anti-smoking proposal comes up in your town, will you actively oppose it (as your Libertarian comments would indicate) or simply vote against it?

In Florida one of these efforts got the protection of pigs into the state constitution. How can you vote against pregnant pigs!

One problem is that a significant number of folks who might spend hours on a list serve arguing over such an issue may not even be registered to vote (or, if registered, fail to participate in the election process as vigorously as their comments here would indicate).

Election results show that the majority of laws enacted by referendum and the majority of those elected to office are elected by a minority of the eligible (and often by a scant minority of the registered )voters.

Hardly what one might predict after perusing this list serv a week or so. But a fact none the less.

Reply to
resrfglc

Wow - what must a harsh group be like ;) ha!

Reply to
George Max

Try Alt.hvac to see what a harsh group is like. Ask a simple or complex question and get called every name in the book. Makes me feel embarrased to say I'm in the HVAC field with people representing it like those asses.

Reply to
Wayne K

I'll actively oppose it to the extent that that is possible for me- I do write letters to my representatives, and vote in every election. If you're asking whether I'll stand on a street corner with a sign, then no. I have too many other things to do, and not enough time to do them as is.

See above, I do vote in every election, and spend as much time as I can actively researching the candidates in every race prior to doing so. I also make a point of bringing specific pieces of legistlation up for discussion with friends and family to attempt to convince them to do the same.

Reply to
Prometheus

Simplistic is the name of the game with this one- from what I remember about 20 years ago, we got a magazine-style book with a lot of glossy pictures with disturbing images next to pictures of drugs. There was no seperation made between different types of drugs on those pages, unless you count the fact that you had to turn a page to get to the next one. There were technical write-ups as you'd expect, but far more quotations from rehab patients who would go on about how substance X ruined thier lives. Every one had the same format and style, and in sixth or seventh grade, that's a more compelling argument that they are all the same than a dry write-up from a commission's report.

There are plenty of folks in the world who I wouldn't trust to use a toaster unsupervised, and I don't think leaving them to try and figure out which information is straight and which is colored by political machinations is a very fair or intellegent thing to do.

See above- I don't have that old handout, but I do recall it being used as a vehicle to describe how each and every drug leads to violent crime and addiction. That may have changed by now, I'm remembering the drug war from Reagan's time.

Reply to
Prometheus

Never Enough Money

Fri, Dec 22, 2006, 2:02am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMcharter.net (Prometheus) doth sayeth: I do vote in every election, and spend as much time as I can actively researching the candidates in every race prior to doing so.

Likewise. However my research is NOT for who to vote for, rather who to vote against, as I generally am not very satisfied with either candidate - especially those runing for federal offices. I just try to vote against the one I consider the worst person to be in office. I probably won't be needing a lot of research if Clinton runs, hard to think of a worse choice - and for the weenies, no it's not because she's a woman, it's because of her as a person. I think she is morally corrupt, and not qualified for the position in the first place. It would be a terrible dillema tho if she were to run against someone like Kerry, or Kennedy. Then it would be a lose lose situation, no matter who lost.

JOAT Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.

- Eric Hoffer

Reply to
J T

Then there's the one, and I don't recall who said it but: "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger..unless it kills you."

How many times has it happened that decades after extensive use of a drug, it is found to be causing bad side effects? Vioxx comes to mind. Look at Limbaugh to see how stupid you can get from Oxycontin.

Reply to
Robatoy

Fri, Dec 22, 2006, 1:46am snipped-for-privacy@cast.net (Wayne=A0K) Try Alt.hvac to see what a harsh group is like. Ask a simple or complex question and get called every name in the book. Makes me feel embarrased to say I'm in the HVAC field with people representing it like those asses.

I haven't visited there, but yeah, that would be an example of a harsh group. If any of you wonder about rec.woodworking being one of the politest newsgroups, go cruise a few newsgroups, and participate.

JOAT Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.

- Eric Hoffer

Reply to
J T

Fri, Dec 22, 2006, 6:09am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@topworks.ca (Robatoy) doth quoteth: Then there's the one, and I don't recall who said it but: "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger..unless it kills you."

I go with, "Whatever doesn't kill you usually hurts ike Hell".

JOAT Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.

- Eric Hoffer

Reply to
J T

Whoever said "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger" has never been seasick.

Reply to
J. Clarke

rec.travel is pretty harsh. Go over there and ask them (in separate messages) about reclining your airline seat, and what about all those nice children on board the airplane with you.

I hope you've got one of those silver protective suits that people that fight serious fires wear.

Reply to
George Max

He doesn't need any help from Oxycontin.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

: Look at Limbaugh to see how stupid you can get from Oxycontin.

I'm pretty sure he was that way before the Oxycontin.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss