RE: O/T: Dodged A Bullet

There are a couple of boxes here in my home office, way back in a closet, that must contain 30+ hard drives from the past 25 years.

I have never disposed of a computer/server without keeping the hard drive(s).

Reply to
Swingman

Because something exists doesn't mean more of it is better.

Reply to
krw

Stop complaining. My upload is normally 80K (~1.5M down).

Reply to
krw

----------------------------------------------------- I've had a 1GB external HD collecting dust for at least a year waiting for me to spring for the software I want to run it.

A little late, but better late than never is where I'm at now.

I still run a lot of DOS based programs and am able to insert an copy command line in the file that copies everything in the directory to a

2GB flash drive plugged into front of case.

It's the important stuff but does not include e-mail files.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I haven't looked, but you might check whether SourceForge.org has some (free) software which would you may find usable. It's my "most-trusted" source.

Reply to
Bill

------------------------------------

wrote:

------------------------------------------------ It's been so long I forgot how I had set it up but it is as follows:

Turn off monitor after 30 minutes.

Turn off hard drive after 30 minutes.

System Standby after 1 hour.

System hybernate after 2 hours.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Well, all the new computers are using SATA drives. So while our IDE and EIDE drives aren't quite useless yet, it won't be long until they are :-)

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

We use two externals for backup. About a year ago we bought a Western Digi tal Passport that backs up data as you create or update it. It also gives you the option to save previous versions of a document and I currently have the software set to maintain the last five versions (Overkill, I know). B ut I write quite a bit and the current version isn't always my best thinkin g. We bought the drive at Sam's for around $65 and it seems like a great i nvestment.

Second level of backup is in our safe deposit box a few blocks from here. It is an older Seagate unit; and we bring it home every 4-6 weeks and back up everything. That is our 'tornado/house burns down' protection.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

I like to do that myself, with both budget files for jobs (particularly those shared on DropBox), and with various versions of drawings and Sketchup Files as they evolve.

This thread made me think about picking another usb 1TB, as the old one is going on 5 years old.

Going to look for a WD model that comes with that particular software.

Thanks for the heads-up ...

Reply to
Swingman

d I currently have the software set to maintain the last five versions (Ove rkill, I know). But I write quite a bit and the current version isn't alwa ys my best thinking.

The drive here on my desktop is a Western Digital P/N WDBBEP0010BBK-01. As I think about it, we have had it a bit more than one year. Probably bough t at Sam's Club in mid 2013. I checked reviews on it while we were in the store and folks who owned it seemed pleased.

RonB

Reply to
RonB