RE: O/T: Dodged A Bullet

I've recovered many a deleted file with nothing beyond the built-in windows undelete function. When I say lose, I mean seriously loose, through no action of your own.

Reply to
clare

I just go to the windows waste basket if I actually want it back.

Reply to
Leon

Backup backup backup...

With XP I used ghost. Now with win7 I use MS backup.

And that works, but make sure you get all patches for it.

Reply to
woodchucker

2 minutes? Not in my book. It takes a from few minutes to a few hours to get a delta. Never 2 minutes.
Reply to
woodchucker

No one is getting my data. No cloud period.

Now for that service you need a fast upload speed. I have 400k up. That's just never going to do it.

Reply to
woodchucker

Of course. ;~)

When I say lose, I mean seriously loose,

Seriousely, I don't loose files unless it is directly related to my own carelessness. If I forget where I put the file, delete the file, or loose it due to a crash, I consider that my fault.

Reply to
Leon

FWIW IDrive will send you an externally HD for you to back up to and to return to them. And visa versa should you need to restore every thing. I chose to simply use the internet and 4 days of round the clock backing up and I was done. Now anytime any file is created or changes it is instantly backed up.

Reply to
Leon

Never empty the waste basket?

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

You could also put a couple of DVDs in your safety deposit box, or anywhere else that is not in the same building -- like in a secret hiding place in your desk at work. That was part of the "security manual" of the 70's. Don't store your backup in the same building!

Reply to
Bill

I've got two 80 GB SDD backing up to eSata external drive. It almost always only does incremental changes. YMMV.

I bought an Intel (730) 500 GB SSD for $199 over the holidays, which didn't seem so bad since the 1st 80 GB SSD was $229, which was "cheap" for it at the time and I think the 2nd one i added was $120. My wife will take them over. My PC from 1997 had a 6.4 GB HDD, but I never used much more than about a half of it!

BTW, there is only one new motherboard I found that supports eSata still (and it was "silly" high-end). So, I either will need to use the external in USB 2.0 mode (never tried it), or upgrade the external drive to USB 3.0--which I expert will give about the same level of performance at the eSata.

Reply to
Bill

I run CCleaner almost once a day (love it)--download it from Sourceforge (to avoid bloatware, etc.)

Reply to
Bill

I have seen applications (MS Visual Studio comes to mind) eat files before, as in "its gone".

Reply to
Bill

And what do you call it when your hard drive crashes -- or loses a few sectors. Not as common as it used to be, but it still happens. Or when the hard drive totally gives up the ghost.

That is "seriously losing" a file "through no action of your own" Sometimes the data recovery boys can get it back for a (fairly hefty) price. Sometimes they are gone forever.

I recommend "belt and suspenders" for anything important. RAID 5 or better drive array, backed up to Network Attached Storage, backed up to removeable hard drive kept off site. For NAS we've been using Q-Nap raid boxes. At the one office the entire server is also mirrored to a second identical server in the opposite end of the building. The other office has the second server in the same server rack. Both servers have redundant power supplies, powered from 2 separate dual conversion UPS units, on separate circuits, each on different phases so even if one transformer dies we still have power to both servers. The one office has been using WD Live drives for removeable drives, the other office has been using USB SSDs.

Reply to
clare

I mentioned that to a college IT manager once, and she just looked at me incredulously (as if, where do you expect me to put them?)

Reply to
Bill

Absolutely and the "sensitive" data that I want to protect the most gets handled differently. All the rest goes to the cloud for extremely easy recovery should I do something stupid.

Reply to
Leon

Not before I recover the file. ;~) If I don't recover the file immediately after I delete there is a good chance I meant to delete it.

I don't know about you but if I unintentionally delete a file I don't wait to recover it. I'm not sure that I have ever deleted a file without knowing it. I certainly have deleted the wrong one but I immediately recover it.

That is just the way I do that, not necessarily the best for every body.

Reply to
Leon

Jeff, I added a lot of files this week (probably at least 9GB, far more than usual), and I just did the backup and timed it for you: 6 min. 50 sec. Not as good as I said above, but far from a few hours. It typically takes just a few minutes, I think.

If you don't have tons of files (like videos), SSD is not such a bad deal. And if you have tons of videos, then they may live just fine on a separate conventional drive. All SSDs are not created equal. I've had good luck with Intel. It's my understanding that to get excellent performance out of the lastest drives, one needs a motherboard with one of the more modern chipsets (like z97, not z87). I'm no hardware guru, I've learned most of what I know from Tomshardware.com

If you want to put windows on a new hard drive, you probably would need to buy a Windows (OEM) disk for $100-140 too. So, depending on the age of your system, it may make sense to build it into your next one. I have 3 more parts to order before I can build my next one. Not including external stuff (like mice), my new computer will be made from 11 parts. It could have been done with 9. But clearly its not as complicated as making something like lassagya (which I don't know how to do....) I should remedy that! ;)

Cheers, Bill

Reply to
Bill

I can't say that I have ever lost a file unless I was not paying attention to the assumed directory that the program wanted to save it in.

Reply to
Leon

I call that my own fault for not taking precautions to have a back up of those data files.

That is seriously losing a file through inaction of your own. ;!)

Reply to
Leon

You can tell CCleaner to not touch the waste basket.

Reply to
Leon