RE: No Electricity Table Saw

Maybe some Festool competition.

Lew Hodgett

As before, it has a big oooooooooooooo factor. Then the price tag ($1200) turns it into a bit ohhhh sheeeeit factor.

Reply to
jo4hn

Brilliant!!

Expensive!!!!

Reply to
Robatoy

And out of stock.

Bridge City has never been known for affordability.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

has to be the most expensive hand saw I have ever seen. Or is it a manual table saw? Whatever it is, it is wonderful. I am drooling here. And apparently so many people liked it that they have run out of their first production run. If you want one, you have to get on a list.

But it looks like just the ticket for small, precise parts. Model makers, wood turners, doll house makers, mineratures, etc. I bet it is a big hit for anybody who needs those small, precise parts.

I don't do anything like that and I still want one.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Clever idea but seems expensive for what it is.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I'm happy there's a video... it is worth seeing. I fail to see the utility, at any price, though.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Edelenbos

mpetition.

I had not looked into BCT before, but then again I haven't dragged my knuckles on the ground for quite a long time *S*. I do see the appeal though. I'll just stick with the plug-ins for the time being.

Reply to
Robatoy

On 10/26/2009 3:41 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

$1300? Fuck no.

Per several comments on the /Make/ page, the plastic bevel gears and aluminum parts look cheesy.

There's a real ergonomic problem here: unless you have a helper, you need one hand to crank the saw, leaving only one other hand to guide the work.

A better arrangement might be to use a foot treadle. Before the advent of power tools, there were lots and lots of treadle-powered tools, from drill presses to jigsaws.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I had the same thought until I remembered that there are a /lot/ of apartment-dwellers who don't have shop space available.

Quiet operaion and ease of dust control might be attractive to them, and I suspect other designs will appear to solve the price problem.

I was just thinking that it should be possible to build a CNC version for considerably less money than Bridge City's manual version - and that the CNC version needn't be significantly noisier...

Reply to
Morris Dovey

The hand crank is only for adjusting blade height.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Unless I was watching something completely different where/why do you need to crank the saw?

Reply to
Doug Brown

You don't have to crank it while using it, technically. It adjusts the height of the blade. Unfortunately, with hard woods, you can only cut "so deep," so you need to take shallow passes... kind of like a router.

The guy in the video seems pretty adept at "making a pass-adjusting blade height-making a pass-adjusting blade height" pretty quickly, as I figure most users would get after some practice.

In any case, it seems to be designed with hold down clamps so it can be guided singled-handedly.

Reply to
-MIKE-

$1300.00

Reply to
Leon

That may be a matter openion. Way way back when I used to buy their products. I have some of their rules, an angle gauge and a Squivel with a penny in it. Not long after their road to recovery their prices got out of hand.

Reply to
Leon

Great idea, and you're right. It would be a pretty easy thing, mechanically. I've seen it on 18-19th century machines.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Maybe the price is just to help draws folks' interest. It looks like they could sell it for a lot less. And I hear people are more impressed with what they save than what they pay anyway. Marketing ploy?

Reply to
Bill

For the money you can get an electric TS. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

"-MIKE-" wrote

For the money they want it should have a mechanism which automatically raises the blade height by a user adjustable amount with each pass. Art

Reply to
Artemus

They could sell it for less but you have to join their founders club at $45 per year for the privlidge of paying less. Hummm.

Reply to
Leon