Re: Need some education on buying lumber & lumber availability

The only

>people who have walnut are the ones who charge twice the going rate ($8.10 >bd/ft vs. $4.15).

So, the going rate is now $8.15? We have a joke at my buddy's bicycle shop. "Everything we don't have is on sale."

A buddy of mine told me that lumber runs in cycles;

My experience does not match your buddy's. My local dealer's stocks ebb and flow, but there usually isn't much of a regular cycle to it. The prices and stock seem to be based on what's available within a decent distance, or if they have large custom jobs going on.

For instance, one of the dealers is a large archectual woodworking shop. If he's doing a large project in a wood that doesn't normally fly off his racks, he'll buy extra, at the lower price, so he can offer a better retail price. This, in turn, encourages the smaller guy to stock up. These guys tell me that a big part of their cost is getting the truck to the door.

Some of my other local sources are not actually dealers, but cabinet shops willing to sell small amounts to those who ask. Same thing there, if he dosen't need it, the price goes down to make room for the material he needs.

BTW, some small shops, where you're dealing directly with the owner, LOVE cash. I've bought wood and metal from small local factories and gotten GREAT prices for cash. The green presidential stuff, not a check.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I just had a guy offer me 350bf of air dried walnut for $1.20 a bf. He gave me a 8ft long piece to take home and plane. It was beautiful. He also offered me cherry at $.60 a bf. I purchased the cherry and told him I would think about the walnut. When I went back a few days later the walnut was gone. I see it at auctions out here all of the time. This is where I buy my wood from

you tried these guys, they are in NC

vmtw

thanks for the link. Hartzell's looks like an excellent site.

Reply to
freak

Also take a look at advantagelumber.com

enata