Suggestions on buying appliances

I have been pricing things around for appliances and all the prices seem the same.

Sears has 20% off now if you buy 3 and no payments interest for 12 months.

Seems like the best deal.

I was looking at either a GE or Whirlpool set.

Refridge, top range and dishewasher

Reply to
The dude

Where are you shopping? All the big box stores are close in price, but so are local dealers belonging to buyer's co-ops. Sears has a reputation for lousy service. Are you saving enough to justify the potential problems? What about your local dealer? Give him the prices you have and see what he can do to come close. Be sure to include delivery, taking away old appliances, etc.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Having sold both GE and Whirlpool for 30 yrs before retirement, I would suggest Whirlpool over GE. I think I read that GE was putting their appliance business up for sale, but then the consensus is, that Sears is close to bankruptcy( worked for Sears, 15yrs). The suggestion someone made to give your local dealer a shot at matching the price is not a bad one.

Tom G

Reply to
Tom G

Go on GE's website. A lot of times they have rebates if you buy more than 1 appliance.

Reply to
Mikepier

Yup, LG is trying to buy GE appliance business. I've been happy with Whrlpool all these years.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Seems to me like price fixing?

On their issued card? Will they give one addition year on the warranty? Suggest pay on another credit card and not one from Sears, if you can get the extended warranty date (manufacturer).

Reply to
Oren

The interest isn't forgiven-- just deferred...unless you're ever even 1 day late with a payment. Then you get back charged and it's all due right then.

Read the multipage, small print, flimsy paper contract you sign when you buy....

Better idea-- same up the money to buy what you need, then pay cash. It's called prudent fiscal responsibility....

Reply to
Flatus Johnson

I have the cash for it.. that is not a big deal.

But I could Make money from the cash, while I have no interest on what I bought.

Won't $5,000 be worth less in a year?

Its called common sense.

Flatus Johns>> I have been pricing things around for appliances and all the prices seem >> the same.

Reply to
The dude

And I think also, that the fine print also says that they can cancel the deferred interest if they think you have not paid other credit cards on time or are over extended on your total credit. I've found that Sears is changing the due date on your payment every month to make it easy for you to miss the due date. They changed my due date by almost 15 days one month.

Tom G.

Reply to
Tom G

Might be prudent to narrow the choices to one or two better buys recommended by Consumer Reports. The appliance market is looking more and more like a jungle out there, so eliminating the Yugos first would help/

Joe.

Reply to
Joe

A salesman told me that LG products is made by GE. Don't know if there is any truth to that or not.

Reply to
Mikepier

Called all my creditors, had them set a specific date. Rich today, poor tomorrow. Tell them what day you want to pay, easily they adjust the due date.

Reply to
Oren

I bought DW , washer and dryer from Sears. For the dryer, one guy delivered it. A week later, another guy came to pick up the old one. Another week, a guy finally came to hook up the dryer, but he was missing parts.....

And then there's the dishwasher....but I won't bore you.

How many Sears delivery guys does it take to install and deliver appliances?

Add your own punchline.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

I have heard that Sears lawnmowers are poor quality too.

I have a friend that is having major troubles with a new one. It only had a 3 month warrantee.

Reply to
metspitzer

Sears buy different models from different manufacturers for different price points. Some are good, some not so good.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski