Poly question

Wrecker's,

A friend of mine is restoring a pickup. He is installing a white oak floor in the bed. He has already coated the wood with gloss poly. It looks pretty good, but he's looking for more smoothness. I don't use gloss poly on furniture, so I'm seeking help here.

How can he get this finish as level and as glossy as he can?

Thanks, Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Have him wet sand the oak with a 400-600 grit wet/dry paper. The weight of the sanding block with water is all the pressure that is required. If he over-does it he can always apply another coating but very little pressure is all that's needed. Keep a good slurry going and when he's through - have him apply a good coat of paste wax. I've always used Minwax Paste, but Johnsons, Bostons, any of them are good. Since this is exposed to the weather, be sure that the wax dries prior to buffing.

When it's all said and done - have him post a pic on abpf - love to see how it looks.

Jums (who has used this technique on almost every piece of furniture I've built and get smooth as glass results.)

"If you ain't minwhackin' yer wood ~ Yer just whackin' it!"

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

By rubbing it out as you would with any finish

Reply to
Mike G