Re: Metric

On Sep 10, 1:43 pm, Morris Dovey snipped-for-privacy@iedu.com wrote: [snipped for brevity]

> Lady Liberty's design metrics and, to a lesser extent, her place of > origin lost importance as she transitioned from being an object in New > York to a treasured symbol for all people everywhere (something I hadn't > much thought about until I saw her in Tiananmen Square in '89, and have > thought about a lot since). >

A much nicer image to think about than the big one in Vegas.

My comment had more to do with that hatred hang-over from France's rejection to join an obviously unnecessary war. A lot of good things have come from France and it irks me that even that goodwill had to be tainted. France has always been a very complex country.

Reply to
Robatoy

On 9/10/2009 11:11 AM Robatoy spake thus:

Never misunderestimate the idiocy and ignorance of American Yahoos and such; I'm sure there are plenty (and even some reading this) who still refuse to use the term "French fries" because of the perceived anti-U.S. bias of that nation.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I haven't seen the one in Vegas. Only those in New York and Paris. The TV shot of the Chinese version took my by surprise - I would never have guessed she'd become important to anyone in China. Ignorant me, huh?

Sparkle sparkle little bait! (I haven't time to waste on hate.)

A lot of good things have, and I met a fair number of French on their home turf - and brought back only good memories and a desire to visit again.

Interestingly, the French with whom I've been working on solar technology haven't shown any lessening of goodwill or willingness to engage in cooperative problem-solving. I appreciate that.

Of course. It's occurred to me that there aren't any simple countries, only simplistic views of countries.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

We don't either but that's because chips (the proper name) were invented in Yorkshire ;-)

Reply to
Stuart