Re: HVLP Sprayer Selection

I have two of these and they work great for shellac and lacquer.

Dominic Palazzola

Hi John, I bought the Turbinaire 1235 a month ago and I love it. I also bought the small bottle conversion kit which allows me to use 3 or 4 oz bottles for those small jobs. I have not used any other brand so I cannot say how it compares to them. Here is their web site if you want to take a look.

While I was spraying yesterday I thought that along with my drum sander this sprayer (both of which cost much more than my TS, Jointer, ect) have removed a lot of the drudgery associated with certain phases of WW. Cheers, JG

John K> I'm tired of brushing on 5 coats on 6 sides and spending more time applying

Reply to
JGS

I own a CH 2500 system and a Fuji Q4 system. one cost under $200 the other over $600 and I've been following reports from those that have bought the Harbor Freight and Rockler under $100 units. All these units will give, when you can use them properly (read that practice, practice, practice), a good finish, even a perfect finish. Naturally I can't recommend the Fuji unit highly enough and if you have the cash it's the way I would go..

If you are doing one or two projects a year that requires spraying and while it is nice to own a top of the line unit it isn't necessary to spend a lot of money. for an HVLP unit.to get the job done. As a matter of fact, if you own a compressor a conventional gun will do just as well.

HVLP buys you a unit that is more efficient in it's use of materials and a less messy spray job. Expensive units buy you longevity and some bells and whistles. not necessarily a better finish.

In short, just about any unit on the market from under a hundred to over a grand would probably meet your present requirements but none of them provides a magic carpet ride to a perfect finish. You still have to work at it.

Reply to
Mike G

I'm pretty happy with my Accuspray. Paint viscosity and air pressure/volume have to be properly set-up to get really good results, though.

Reply to
ATP

One of the other wood magazines just did a very long review of HVLP systems. If you are interested, I can go look it up.

Bill

pressure/volume

Reply to
Bill

John,

I feel your pain. I used to spend hours/days/weeks/months wiping on finish, sanding etc..

Got a Fuji Q3 HVLP Sprayer in June, and its been a complete process transformation. I'm really moving now through the finishing of my kitchen cabinet project.

Its a huge time saver and the results are excellent (for me at least, its better than wiping or brushing or any other mode of applying finish)

The Q3 is high quality product. The turbine is a low noise unit, the hose is large and sturdy. The gun has worked flawlessly and the instruction book is easy to read. Best of all the customer service department is renowned for rendering outstanding service. I called them today and requeste a viscosity cup and they mailed one to me - free.

As an extra, I bought the 6' Flexible Whip Hose, maintenance kit, 3 piece mini-cup set and extra #4 gun nozzle set up. On the web site, its the "Best Deal" Option. All told spent $710 and shipping is free.

I purchased my Q3 online from the following source....

If you can justify the expenditure, go for it. You won't be disappointed.

Good Luck.

-Albert

Reply to
Albert