Re: How to imitate basic Ikea Birch Finish

I've seen a lot of birch finished in Germany using clear lacquer that looks a lot like what the Ikea stores there and in Denmark sell.

Here in the US I favor Waterlox on birch but, although I believe that it's a better finish, it is more yellow.

RB

Space Cadet wrote:

Hi, > > I'm not a woodworker and I'm not trying to start a flamewar or debate > the quality/value of Ikea stuff. > > BUT > > I do have a Ikea kitchen cabinets that have the "Nexus Birch" finish > (sample photo:
> I have some other bits that I want to make up to match the finish on > these doors. I have the impression that birch plywood with several > coats of a semi-gloss oil-based varathane will give me what I want. > > Can anyone tell me if I am headed in the right direction? Please post > to newsgroup. > > Thanks in advance, > > Bill
Reply to
RB