Finish

I am completing a bench, it will be used indoors, I need to know the most scratch resistant top coat available. Thanks, Ruben

Reply to
Ruben Figueroa

Paint.

MH

Reply to
MSH

but not that attractive. If you want a clear seal, try bar top varnish

Reply to
Sam Krenov

Vinyl siding.

If that does not work for you, epoxy paint

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 08:15:30 -0700, "MSH" pixelated:

It depends upon what you really want, Ruben. It's interior. What's going to scratch it? Pants, kids with toys, knives, or screwdrivers?

Do you want a thick finish which is resistant to scratching, looks and feels like hell, is awfully hard to repair, and takes a lot of time and effort to fix? Use "good old poly" like so many of the guys here do.

Do you want a thin finish which looks better to start with, feels a lot better to the touch (like real wood!), and can be repaired in a few minutes? Try some Danish oil mixes like Watco or Tung oil; Waterlox, or Tried & True Varnish Oil.

(Am I a teensy bit opinionated or what? ;)

- Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened. ---

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ruben, I agree with Larry on this one.

However, for a relatively simple, non-UV resistant, HARD finish . . . I reach for the water-based POLY.

If I want a really deep and 'resistant' finish, I 'lay it on' like varnish . . . several coats with progressively finer grits of sanding between. Ending with the application of a Teflon containing wax and buffing. I use GLOSS; if I need a 'non-gloss' finish I do a 'buffing' with BRONZE wool or 600 {plus}Carbide paper.

Ron Magen

If it don't look like it's protected by an impenetrable layer of faintly orange plastic, it ain't finished. :)

Actually, I tried some oil finish on something once. Danish oil I want to say, but I can't quite remember. Watkins? Watco? After I became disenchanted with it and subsequently polyurethaned the piece, it finally looked finished.

No accounting for a lack of taste. ;)

Reply to
Silvan