Re: Does anyone from england read this newsgroup?

"alan.holmes" wrote

Does anyone from england read this newsgroup? >

This would be the perfect cue to make some sarcastic remarks about English reading skills.

But I have much more style and class than that. So I won't.

I should point out that it is poor form to post messages that have no text. Subject headers do not constitute clear internet communication.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Which would result in some suitably worded comments from this side of the pond!

However, I do agree with you that news posts without content are bad form.

Reply to
Stuart

However, quite a few of us are here, what did you want.

I should maybe point out that none of us actually *do* any woodwork as timber and tools are extortionate over here compared to over 'there' :-(

Reply to
PCPaul

Then how about pointing out that proper names should be capitalized?

In any case, I can qualify. I've been to England twice, therefore I'm from England.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Speak for yourself! Since I retired 10 years ago I have almost re-furnished my house. Mostly Croatian white oak (which is what the Royal Navy used to build its wooden ships). And I didn't spend a lot on tools- everything from Machine Mart.

Reply to
Bob Martin

My dad was born there, does that count?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

My people visited there a LOT starting in about the 8th century. Do I qualify? ya sure, jonnson

Reply to
jo4hn

Oh, a contact in the dockyard ?

Reply to
Stuart

My grandparents were from there. Do I qualify?

Reply to
Upscale

Good one ;-) Actually, the RN stopped building wooden warships a while before I was born. And no, I'm not nicking bits off HMS Victory (which is 5 miles away).

Reply to
Bob Martin

Viking invaders eh? You qualify *only if* your people engaged in the raping part of 'pillaging and raping'.

Reply to
Upscale

My Viking family records clearly indicate that while our relatives indeed pillaged (to a Viking pillaging is like a mouse is to a cat). But raping did not happen, those young beautiful virgins clearly asked for it. Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

Me too!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

White oak, or Croatian white oak?

As we don't have red oak in the UK (rare ornamentals and that's your lot) and the evergreen oaks are a weird bunch in their own right, our two oaks are regularly known as "common" and "upland" oaks (stone oak, sessile, pedunculate and probably a few other names too) but they're rarely if ever called "white" oak. I've only ever heard the term used when talking with Americans, about American furniture or timber, or very recently in retail furniture shops with globalised catalogues.

Reply to
Andy Dingley