Re: Comcast, Giganews, and Outlook Express...anyone?

I'm using the same setup just fine.

Here's a probable stupid question, but when you created the news account in Outlook Express, did you check the box 'This server requires me to log in' and also check the box to remember the settings/password?

Hey all: > > I just got Comcast digital cable, and signed up for Giganews. I > followed their instructions for setting up Outlook Express as my > newsreader. I used the ID/pwd they gave me...and I can sign into the > Giganews web site...but when I try to reset the current list of NGs > they have, or try to do a Synchronize (to pick up current messages), > it keeps asking me to specify ID/pwd (like it's rejecting my pwd). I > end up hitting "Cancel" and get the following: > > Your folder was not polled for its unread count. > Account: 'Comcast', Server: 'news.comcast.giganews.com', Protocol: > NNTP, Server Response: '502 Failed connection to netblock restricted > feed 'cc'', Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 502, Error > Number: 0x800CCC17 > > I've pinged Comcast, they tell me to talk to Giga. I've filled out > the tech support request form 3X on Giga's site, no response. Anyone > have any bright ideas? > > Jim
Reply to
Timothy Drouillard

Mine works just fine with Netscape 7.1 too. No problems in Albuquerque.

Is it Giganews thats ask> I'm using the same setup just fine.

Reply to
Grandpa

Are you saying your system is usually connected to your work LAN and to Comcast at the same time?

If so, how are you physically attaching to your LAN and to Comcast?

watch out for IP address conflicts between the two.

Reply to
Timothy Drouillard

The Comcast thing was a bit of a red herring, mostly. I only mentioned them to say who my service provider is...having said that, I can connect to Comcast from home, and then VPN into the LAN here. Both use dynamically assigned IP addresses, and actually the VPN doesn't "reassign" the address, so I'm AOK.

Now, here are the rest of the letters of the alphabet that I didn't already capitalize: DEFGHJKMQRSTUWXYZ. There. Now they're ALL covered. (C:

Jim

Reply to
PC Gameplayer

Go to "Tools"-----"Accounts" click on the account you want to use, then "Properties" tab to "Server" make sure the box is checked for "this server requires me to logon" enter username and password and check "remember password".

hth

Reply to
ChairMan

"ChairMan" wrote in news:q3c7b.397194$o%2.178784@sccrnsc02:

If you have comcast, why would you pay extra to access giganews. Comcast has their own news server.

Reply to
David Patnaude

Maybe yours does but mine does not (Albuquerque), although they do have some deal worked out with GigaNews for a free account with monthly limits which is what I do. No problem with text stuff but binaries can quickly throw you over the limit.

Reply to
Grandpa

Grandpa wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Interesting. I just took a look at my comcast account page and it is now showing a signup option for giganews rather then the old news server address and usage info. My original service was through AT&T broadband in Massachusetts and was recently taken over by comcast.I hope they are not phasing out the news server that have been using for the past 3 years. All the usual groups and no limits.

Dave

Reply to
David Patnaude

I'm in a suburb of Detroit Mi, and my broadband account started as ATT some years ago, then it got bought by Comcast.

For the first year or two, Comcast did indeed have their own news server with unlimited access.

A year or two ago however, more changes were made, and they converted to giving us accounts on GigaNews news servers. We get the first 1 gigabyte of news each month for free.

We have the option of paying extra to increase our GigaNews limit if we want.

So far I have only hit the 1 gig/month limit once so far.

Reply to
Timothy Drouillard

Yep, I monitor/lurk in ABPF and ABPW.

GigaNews has a web site that allows you to see just how much you've downloaded so far, and it pretty darn accurate and current within the last 5 min at any one time. They will also send you an automatic E-Mail notice when you've hit 80% of your monthly limit.

Reply to
Timothy Drouillard