Outlook Express QuoteFix

This link is for a free software download for people who are using Outlook Express as a newsreader. The software corrects a problem in Outlook Express where, when you click to Reply to a news post, the original message text does not show up with markings to indicate what is quoted text and what is the new message being posted.

This came up in another thread, but I thought I'd post the link here as a separate topic. Here's what another poster in that thread wrote which says it all more succinctly:

"Put an end to Outlook Express' messy quotes with this automated fix!

"

Reply to
RonABC

ok, i just installed it and this is the result.

steve

R> This link is for a free software download for people who are using

Reply to
Steve Barker

Ok, got it figgered out. WHY would they put the check mark for positioning the curser at the top, if the whole point of the program is to have it at the bottom???

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

BUT, if i want to trim the mess above (in the case of multiple replies) then my curser ends up at the point of deletion, and has over ridden the benefit of the program. OR am i just missing something here?

Steve Barker

Looks good to me. But, when I first was experimenting with what works in terms of quoting when replying and what doesn't, I learned that it may depend on whether the original post was posted using Plain Text or HTML.

I usually post > ok, i just installed it and this is the result.

Reply to
RonABC

How did it look good you at that point? It had put the reply at the top.

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

I think one feature of the software is to set it for whether you want the reply to be top-posted or bottom-posted.

Another feature has to do with making sure that the quoted text is marked differently than the message you are composing.

Regarding the top-post versus bottom-post question -- I do both. I depends on how I think the reply will look best in each situation.

Since my newsreader is set up to automatically follow the thread, I personally do not like to have to read each message and then when I click on the Next Unread message in the thread, I have to scroll down to the bottom of that message to see what the person wrote. So, in some cases, I would rather that the reply be top-posted because I already know what the previous message said. Then I click on the Next Unread reply message and I can see what that says right away without having to scroll down.

The t> R>> This link is for a free software download for people who are using

Reply to
RonABC

So - what is it about google groups posts that causes O.E. to mess up the quotes?

Reply to
Bob F

I did load OE-Quotefix, and it solved that problem with google group posts. It was about time I did something about that.

Reply to
Bob F

If you want to avoid tinkering you might try Thunderbird. It is a free download and works well:

George

Steve Barker TB

On 1/25/2009 10:50 AM Steve Barker spake thus:

Your first bottom-posted reply! Just want to thank you for trying it.

Once you figure out how to trim your replies, you'll be fine.

Thanks again.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl