Re: Built-in cabinets on carpet?

You did say this is a dorm room. So the cabinet will be in place for 9 months? I would just put it right on the carpet.

The question: Is it OK to put the cabinet bases directly on the carpet? Or should I rip out the carpet under the cabinets and put the cabinets bases directly on the slab? Advantages? Disadvantages? Random thoughts? Thanks a heap,

-JBB

************************************************* I do not know where you live but in Florida it is a no-no to put cabinet bases directly on carpet or a slab. The reason for this is that mold grows between them. I have put casters on almost everything and I get the added advantage of being able to move them easily. At the least I would suggest some sort of legs if you can incorporate them into your design. Otherwise when you remove the cabinets, the carpet will probably never recover and you will have a depressed rectangle where the base was. I feel confident that you will come up with a good solution.

Peace~ Sir Edgar øøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøø

Reply to
Montyhp

The usual practice is to make a rabbet (dado?) a few inches above the floor in both sides of the cabinet or book case. This is to receive the bottom shelf and keep it off the floor. Then the front has a plain or decorative strip across it. I have never seen a design that puts the bottom directly on the floor. I suggest looking at a finished piece in a store or at a set of plans.

Peace ~ Sir Edgar =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8= =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8

Reply to
Sir Edgar