Keeping a toddler out of drawers and cabinets

As grandparents, my wife and I do frequent toddler babysitting.

The kitchen cabinets, drawers, and other compartments are very tempting for our grand-daughter to investigate. We are looking for a way to keep this closed and inaccessible to a young child, while still allowing adults to easily open and close the doors and drawers.

Unlike 30 years ago when our own children were toddlers, we now have very high quality custom cabinetry and drawers, and do NOT want to drill or attach any fasteners which deface or damage the cabinets / doors. The fasteners were used 30 years ago required drilling holes into both the doors and the cabinets in order to attach the plastic latches. This is NOT an option for our current cabinets.

Does anybody know of any device or fastener or method which provides a secure and reliable latch to children, easy access to adults, and easy removal without leaving any permanent damage to the custom cabinetry?

Thanks in advance for your assistance and suggestions.

Reply to
Smarty

you could use double-sided tape; a child young enough not to be trusted with the cleaning supplies likely doesn't have the strength to rip it off. I'd test somewhere inconspicuous first to make sure you can remove same without damage before applying.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I believe this is the kind my brother uses to keep his dog out of his.

Good Luck,

Jim

Reply to
jimmydahgeek

Put the poison in the uppers and work on teaching the kid to stay out of the lowers.

Reply to
gfretwell

My mother used a method called "spank de arse"...that seemed to train the toddlers to keep out of the drawers and doors. Somehow in this modern age that method is frowned upon. =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

Velcro tape?

Reply to
Chief Two Eagles

You're worried about drilling holes on the INSIDE of the drawers & cabinets? Why? Do you have snotty guests who'll see the holes and gossip about your lack of taste?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

My mother used a method called "spank de arse"...that seemed to train the toddlers to keep out of the drawers and doors. Somehow in this modern age that method is frowned upon. ==

My first daughter was way too smart to be foiled by a mere cabinet latch. She was probably also too smart to drink Drano or bleach but just in case we took advantage of her brain and taught her not to get into the cabinets and if she did not to drink the horrible stuff in there. Meanwhile we moved anything lethal, just in case. But there's no guarantee they won't find it (especially boys) so we had to fall back on teaching. She pretty much taught daughter #2 not to mess with the bad stuff. In our case "spank de arse" was not necessary, but I never ruled it out. I also believe that leaving toddlers unsupervised is a disaster waiting to happen.

Reply to
Ulysses

Chief Two Eagles wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@gmale.con:

Velcro sounds like something good to use. When you hear the ripping sound, then go "spank de arse".

Reply to
RobertPatrick

@gmale.con:

move dangerous stuff to high inaccesible cabinents with mr yuk on everything. and keep them OUT of dangerous rooms like kitchens, think of child gates

Reply to
hallerb

While spank the arse is my desired solution, I will say that if the cabinets have knob style pulls on them that a large rubber band works about as well and no fears of weenies saying child abuse. Those pony tail do-dads are somewhat easier for older folks to place and remove than rubber bands.

Reply to
Colbyt

The UTMOST concern is the toddler. NOT your aesthetic desires.

Put up child gates to keep him/her out of the kitchen. Move anything hazardous to higher shelves.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

=3D=3D We put up a child gate for the youngest girl and she figured out how to open it in no time. She would also stick her foot through the bars of her crib and propel herself around to where the drawers were and investigate the contents. Smart little fart. =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

Put little boxing gloves on the tykes. ;-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Gates don't work. Even for the short time they do, assume they don't. It is imperative that anything hazardous goes as high as possible. When the brat was a toddler we put all the cleaning supplies in the cabinet above the sink and the cereal below.

Reply to
krw

I wanted to design a line of clothing for small children called "Stayput". It would have Velcro sewn into the back of the clothing and come with accessory wall plates covered with Velcro to be attached to various locations about a home. The rug-rat could be stuck to the wall for various activities such as putting on their shoes, combing their hair or washing their cute little faces.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I know! Keep the toddler locked in a drawer or cabinet.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

...and then you'd roll them on their backs on the living room carpet as a babysitter.

Reply to
krw

Just keep them away from Airedales and other wiry-coated pets.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

You know, if they'd have wrapped that rascal, there wouldn't be any little toddlers to worry about.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Hanig