Qx - Straightening a Cupped Panel

First off, thanks for the info.

When I look at the list of available news groups to which I can subscribe I find that "alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking" is not one of them. Is it possible that my news service, Eternal September, is not collecting input from that group?

Reply to
Michael Karas

Thanks Steve. That worked and I could see Tom's pictures.

Reply to
Michael Karas

I didn't think Eternal September carried any binary newsgroups (my Usenet provider doesn't either).

Reply to
krw

//Quote news.eternal-september.org is a private project providing free access to "text-only" Usenet News. -

Digger

Dan:

Thanks for the input. Grass is what The Furniture Doctor recommends, but I'm hopeful that my wet towel under the blocked up panel will accomplish something similar. No joy so far, and it's raining today, so we'll just have to see. The rain is appreciated regardless of its impact on my project.

Regards.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Michael Karas wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

That is a provider of text-only usenet groups, as already stated.

I paid Astraweb.com $10 in June 2008 for 25 GB of downloads. I use that news service exclusively, but don't really use it to download big files, which is what you can do there. Now, today, I still have 23,712,097,568 bytes (23.71 GB) left to download. There is no expiration date. I think that was $10 well spent. Latency, uptime and retention are all very favorable compared to Eternal.

Suggestion: Spend $10.

Reply to
Han

Jack:

In the past I've had some luck with keeping the weight on for several days after stopping the moisture treatment. That being said, I expect that the results may be largely a function of the type of wood and its grain structure. I know that I can bend 1/2" thick white oak into a circle of 12" radius (after steaming) and have it stay about 320 degrees complete after it dries. The spring back is reduced even further if I keep it clamped in a circle for 2 weeks or more.

I do not know how this wood (I suspect mahoganey, but not at all certain) will react.

Regards.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Sonny:

I concur with your guess that the wood was likely air dried. The piece is 50+ years old, came from Asia, so kiln drying seems unlikely.

The back side (convex side) is unfinished, just some dried glue which I plan to scrape off anyway). I just learned from the owner that the whole piece got wet some years ago during a move - probable source of the warping. If that's the case then the back side (unfinished except for bad glue) would absorb more moisture than the finished front side, causing the cupping, or at least that's my theory.

Dampening the convex side is counter intuitive, but WTH, I'll give it a shot. I am concerned about cracking of the panel if I do relief cuts. Its varying thickness, due to the relief carving, would make depth of cut pretty critical and hard to determine.

One maybe good, maybe bad thing is that the grain is not straight along the panel width, but at a slight angle, maybe 15 degrees. The cupping is almost dead straight along the width. IMHO this could reduce the potential of a split running the width of the panel as it tries to un-cup. Wishful thinking in progress.

Thanks for the ideas.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Artemus

Shoulda read further down first. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Now I can see Deb's booful bench, too. I hope she's finished finishing the inside of the bottom rails by now. ;)

-- It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques