Quietest small compressor

Can anyone recommend a quiet small compressor? It for use in a basement.

I read comments here that the oil-less types are noisier than the oil-lube. Is that true?

It will be used mainly for light-duty nail-gun use.

Thanks

Reply to
Top Spin

I have one of those 5HP/20Gal Devilbiss units in my basement right now. Yup, noisier than the 'oil type' in the garage. But it fills up faster and is clean,no maintenance 'cept blowing out filter. I put a 5 sided box around it,leaving 3" more or less and stapled old carpet to all five sides. It's reasonably quiet now and I gained another 'worktop' about 2 by 2 feet. Works for me for the past 5 years...

Jay

Reply to
j.b. miller

Slightly noisier? Much noisier? ???

Would it annoy someone in the next room trying to watch TV?

By clean, do you mean no oil?

Reply to
Top Spin

My neighbor has one of those damned oiless sears units, It annoys me at

150 feet or more. I hear it in my garage and I hear it in my house.

Putting a box over the pump isn't an option for some of us, if I'm going to spend money, even on a piece of junk tool, I'm not going to abuse it.

If your looking for a quiet compressor look for a standard compressor with an iron pump. Iron absorbs noise.

Reply to
Mark

Compressors are not supposed to be quiet. However, when I want quiet I fill a portable tank to the "quiet area" and use from that tank.

Reply to
Phisherman

I do not think it is available here in the US, as I have never seen it. I use to own an Emglo, it is fully concealing in a steel casing with foams padding inside. It is so quiet that it sound less than my central cooling/heating system (fans). By the way the Emglo is made in Italy and I believe it was 2 to 3 CFM, a small units.

Reply to
WD

Check out the Thomas T30HP unit, 1-1/2 horsepower, 4 gallon pancake. It's a relatively quiet oilless unit. IIRC is about $300.

Reply to
dustin pockets