web or print resource on air compressor ownership

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a guide on the proper care and feeding of an air compressor? I'd like to read up on things like maintenance (esp. oil-lube), setting up oil filters/separators, winter storage, etc.

Thanks!

- Daniel

Reply to
Daniel H

The owner's manual should cover proper maintenance for your particular model. I'd start there.

-j

Oops, yes, my query did sound like how to look after a particular model.

I'd like to read up on compressors in general. Some of the things I'd like to learn are:

- if there is a real difference between the various styles (pancake, hot-dog, side-stack, vertical vs. horizontal, etc.) of compressors and how they are built (direct-drive, belt-drive, oil/oilless; different pump styles) so I can look at any one particular model and see how it compares to others

- how to go about piping a shop up

- things I'm not even aware of enough to ask

We have Duginske's bandsaw book, Warner's router book, Hack's plane book, Landis's workbench book, and Lee's sharpening book; any compressor book out there?

Thanks!

- Daniel

Reply to
Daniel H

It is too short for a book.

Here you go.

Once there was a compressor. The shape of tank is fairly meaningless except that some are easier to carry. Oiled lasts longer and is quieter than oilless. Generally paying more gets you longer lasting and better quality components. Belt drive means it is easier to replace the motor. Piping can be done any number of ways. You will find people here will caution you against using PVC which they claim will shatter into shrapnel. Drain your tank every once in a while to prevent rust. The end.

-j