Question re: antique bench drill

Below is the link to a photo of a simple little drill press which I inherited. It was my dad's and part of an outfit of which the main element was a small Goodell-Pratt metal lathe. I think he probably had the lathe, a grinding wheel and this drill set up in some sort of combo fashion with perhaps a line shaft to distribute power from a single quarter-horse motor. However, I have no idea how the different tools were arranged or what the drive system was for this drill. Would like to set it up and have it operational again for sentimental reasons. Wonder if anybody's familiar with such an item and has any idea what kind of belt would've been used and how it might have been rigged. Thanks much.

ghb624

Deltashop (shown near bottom of page):

advertisement:

guillemd

I'm sure someone here is more knowledgeable than I, but my guess is that the belt was leather and the same as or similar to that of a treadle sewing machine.

Reply to
phorbin

My father-in law had a similar machine in his garage that he used on a regular basis. The frame on his was a little more ornate but still similar. I also suspect that your original had a leather belt drive to a motor; or a central belt drive system that some of the old furniture shops used to have. The father-in-law had it set up with a couple of V-Belts and a motor and it worked just fine for him.

I wish we had kept it. I would like to have it in my shop just for a conversation piece.

RonB

Reply to
rnrbrogan

Thanks much for the good inputs.

Jerry

Reply to
ghb624

thanks for asking the question. the link above leads to tate's

1931 "how to get the most out of you drill press", where you'll see him operate your drill press. there may be some info in the pdf booklet that you can use, if you are interested in restoring your drill press.

best wishes

ray mcinnis

Reply to
ray's friends

That's a good one. Much appreciated, Ray.

Reply to
ghb624