quality bandages

i use them from time to time but have found the quality has gone down

i had a large stock but the replacements are not as good

anyone find a bandage that will stay put even if it gets wet

these new ones come off even from sweat

Reply to
Electric Comet

Not so much the bandage, itself, but Aerozoin spray is used to help a banda ge and/or tape stick and stay stuck. Often, for nicks, scrapes and cuts t o my hands, I spray a bit of Aerozoin on a Q-tip, rub it where the bandaid tape will be placed, allow to dry a few seconds, then apply the bandaid. S tays stuck all day and beyond showering, if need be. Long ago, Aerozoin w as sold/known as ToughSkin, used a lot by ball teams for/when applying band ages or wraps of various kinds, for skin or injury protection of sorts.

Benzoin is used on canker soars and on delicate skin sites as a "skin tough ener"-like assistant or wound cover (of sorts), until the skin heals.

Not sure, but both products should be available over the counter at your lo cal Rx.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Electric Comet on Thu, 10 May 2018

11:18:16 -0700 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

What brand are you using? Which brand were you using?

I kept a roll of micropore tape to close up the small nicks.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Not a bandage, per se, but a waterproof, rubberized tape that is slicker than greased owl shit.

I have a persistent problem with on fingernail on my dominant hand that continually will start to split. I'll catch it on something and it will split further. Only rarely can I super glue or keep tape on it long enough for the damn thing to grow back without catching it on something all over again. Just had a small piece break off a week or so ago. Looking at the drug store I found this flesh colored, rubberized tape said to be waterproof. Damned it it wasn't. I put one piece on the nail longitudinally to protect the area of the nail bed that was exposed and one piece to make it around the circumference of the nail (about 1 ½ turn), not too tight. After three days there was no sign it was giving up its hold but I wanted to "air it out" to let the skin breath a bit.

I found a new best friend. Bye-bye Super Glue, you never worked that well for me anyway.

I would love to give you the name but it was in a blister pack and I tossed the packaging and just keep the unused portion of the roll in a zip lock sandwich baggie. It was, I believe, a major brand and I bought it at the local Jewel-Osco (food & drug chain) owned by Albertson's.

It should not be difficult to find it if you look. Works like a charm and for a bandage, just roll your own with a bit of gauze or . . .

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I have found that a good emergency bandages is a roll of paper towels. I carry a roll in all of my vehicles that are stored in a plastic bag. While it may not be perfect the bag keeps it clean, strong, and it can soak up a lot of blood.

I realized the importance when we came upon a car wreck. The victim had the type of skin the came off in sheets, I don't know what we would have done with out paper towels.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

[snip]

Another one (from time spent working on an ambulance crew before there were paramedics) is sanitary napkins. Sealed in paper and used with an ACE or other bandage, they were outstanding for pressure bandages. A newspaper, or even a magazine, makes for a great splint.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

+1

Paper towels with duct/electrical/painters/packing/gorilla/etc. tape. Whate ver you have handy.

BTDT lots of times. Not waterproof per se, but most tapes stay on.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

As a guy that in the drier months, has frequent splits in the skin along th e edge of the fingernail, I've used finger protection tape for a while. The last brand I bought (multiroll pack 12 rolls/pack) "bantex" cohesive gauze by brasel products, turns out to be pretty waterproof. I've recently (effe n aging process) developed trigger thumb- where the thumb only likes to be in a couple positions- anything in between the 2 positions is painful, so I splint the thumb and that alleviates the notchy ness for a bit . I was usi ng gloves to keep the water off the splint but found that the water doesn't even start to loosen or unravel the gauze over the splint. I leave it on f or the day with frequent immersions and it's still doing the job. Bought o ff fleabay BTW- careful one place showed a pic of the pack of 12 in the adv ert and sent one roll instead of 12! Lesson learned... Regards, Pat

Reply to
patrick

the edge of the fingernail, Pat

This goes for Questionably Confused, also, since you have splitting nails.

Cracking or spliting skin near the nail bed, splitting of the nail and/or t hin/small "lines"/streaks showing on/under the nail, raised ridges on the n ail(s) and clawing of the nail are signs of significant and/or advanced hea rt disease. These symptoms/signs are also often prevalent on the toe nails , as well. I would advise you to go have a thorough physical performed.... by an internist, cardiologist.... if you are not already under the care of a physician.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Well, if the splitting of the skin at the nail edge/tip means I have advanced heart disease then I've been going downhill since I was 11 YO (now 67) and it first was noticed... Thanks for the info though. Regards, Pat

Reply to
patrick

One of my coworkers has had that for as long as he can remember. If he has heart trouble I want the same heart trouble--he runs 7 miles every morning before work and climbed Everest a few years back.

Reply to
J. Clarke

nced heart disease then I've been going downhill since I was 11 YO (now 67) and it first was noticed... Thanks for the info though. Regards, Pat

That's one heck of a history of splitting skin at/near the nail. I suppos e it's been on your dominant hand, only, all that time. Not to be rude or controversial, but have you discovered/treated the root cause of the probl em, rather than treating the/a symptom?

Physicians can't properly diagnose a patient's issues over the phone, in an email, on online forums, at spur-of-the-moment times (like at social gathe rings or running into someone at the grocery store), etc., etc. Rarely is/ would a complete history be given, not to mention lack of other significant aspects of a complete/proper examination. I should have been (should be) more cautious about assuming things, commenting or volunteering info.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Be very careful. If not, at that rate of decline you may be dead in another 20 or 30 years at the most.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Interesting, I'd not heard nails could be a cardiovascular problem indicator but I do remember being taught in school (in the '60s) that the quarter-moon visible at the base of the thumbnail is a sign of good health.

Earlobe creases are another possible indicator of cardiovascular disease.

Spalted Walt

You might want to reconsider. Remember Jim Fixx? It's not unusual and in fact, runners have *more* heart issues than those, who are active but not distance runners. It's known that runners have a higher instance of AFib, for instance, than the general population. A few of tons of articles.

Reply to
krw

What a subject. I'm in a quandry at 68. I still feel great and I'm not going to worry about living a short or long life. I'm more worried about becoming a miserable old f.than going out a happy younger one. Maybe it's going to be a fatal flaw but I haven't been for a checkup for 10 years and have no plans to do so for another 10. My grandparents went this route and quit smoking in their 50's . I quit in my 30's they all drank a shot of brandy or bourbon a while before bed , which I practice. They lived into their mid to late 90's My folks were tied into the medical system with vials of pills and daily pill box doses. My mom started in her 50's and lived to 63. My dad didn't start the pill thing until his late 70's and then he had every ailment under the sun until and passed at 87. I must admit my generation and the younger ones have had a lot more crap chemicals in our food most of our lives. While yhe 80-100 year olds have not had as much, maybe. Who knows it's a crap shoot . So I just shoot for happy and let nature take it's course . O.K.,so I'm foolishly happy for now! rick B.

Reply to
Rick the antique guy

Maybe it'll work out for you but I tried it, until I retired (the first time) in '06 (age 54). Didn't work for me. Right after, I had a rather severe run-in with A-Fib and heart failure. Got over that hump fairly well, lost a lot of weight and was doing alright (but seeing Drs regularly). Then in '14 the A-Fib came back and they found four blocked coronary arteries (70%, 90% and two 100%), so had a CABG/MAZE. After the A-Fib got a lot worse (even though the whole purpose of the MAZE procedure was to stop it). In the last two years I've had three left-atrial ablations for atypical A-flutter, a carotid artery angiogram (another scheduled later this year), a fractured pelvis, and an AV node ablation with pacemaker (but I've been fine for the three months since ;-).

Getting old isn't for sissies. ...but it does beat the alternative.

I hope pretending that doctors don't exist works out better for you than it did me. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Hi K. Sorry to hear about Your Trials with Health.You are having a raw deal. Really! I Feel for You.You are a Hero in Your own right,just to be Here. It is as if my dad Has Spoken to me. Yes: He used to say "Getting old is not for sissies" I never heard it before Him or anyone or again till now. So all that I can say . Is I hope You as I are happy with the Time we have left. Enjoyment by Loving the Gift of life for NOW. Thats al we got My fellow Woodie is NOW. Be well Be swell and Keep a Goin' K rick B.

Reply to
Rick the antique guy

In any case, I don't care about runners' problems. I couldn't do 7 miles on my best day. And then there's the question, do runners have more problems or do people with problems become runners. One of the astronauts fixed his heart problem by going for a run, every time it acted up he went out and ran and it calmed down. One of my professors started running _after_ he had a heart attack and worked up to 10 miles a day.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I'm actually doing pretty well right now. Hopefully the pacemaker either fixed or at least papered over (both, really) the problems. Last year was the pits but I'm doing a lot better. I walk (*not* run)

15 miles a day, which has helped a lot. It took three years to get there, though.

BTW, I'm still working. My employer has unbelievably good benefits, so I'm hanging in there. The work isn't bad, either. ;-) I'd like to hang on for another couple of years but unfortunately, it leaves no time for woodworking.

Reply to
krw