Proper name for type of router bit?

Template bit

joedog90045

I have a trimmer bit that has a bearing on the end and the blade that cuts the same diameter of bearing above this bearing to trim the the "overage" off the edge.

What I'm looking for is something with the reverse arrangement. I work with plexi. I want to lay the template on top of the sheet and trace around it with my router to make copies. The follower bearing and blade would have to be narrower diameter than a trimmer bit for obvious reasons.

What am I after and who sells these bits? Thanks!

Reply to
SimonLW

remember that a lot of bits could come with the bearing on either end, extending possible uses. Also the ability to use bearings of different diameter on the same bit can be usefull. Sometimes these bearings are interchangable throughout the set, if it was part of one, but there are less optional diameters; sometimes work, some not. May need to search. Inner bering diameters std?: don't know. Unususal to get a lot (up to half) of options?: probably.

Reply to
bent

| I have a trimmer bit that has a bearing on the end and the blade | that cuts the same diameter of bearing above this bearing to trim | the the "overage" off the edge. | | What I'm looking for is something with the reverse arrangement. I | work with plexi. I want to lay the template on top of the sheet and | trace around it with my router to make copies. The follower bearing | and blade would have to be narrower diameter than a trimmer bit for | obvious reasons. | | What am I after and who sells these bits? | Thanks!

I think you're after a "pattern bit" - but there's also a "dado clean out bit" and a flush trim/pattern bit (with bearings at both ends of the cutters) shown in my MLCS catalog.

There really isn't any reason that a smaller diameter would be a requirement - but I think I (personally) would much prefer to do that cutting on a table-mounted router set up.

Onsrud Cutter manufactures a series of "O-Flute" bits just for cutting plexi. They were willing to send me a sample (for CNC use) and might be willing to do the same for you. These don't come with bearings but could be used with a base plate bushing...

Morris Dovey

Thanks! I'll look for these template or pattern bits. Onsrud has a bewildering array of bearingless type bits for acrylic.

-S

Reply to
SimonLW