product warning: Rockler's shop safety glasses

Hi all;

I've purchased two pairs of Rockler's "Bifocal Shop Safety Glasses." The glasses fit well and the optical corrections seem pretty good, but there's a major bummer in the product.

The plastic hinges that connect the adjustable ear paddles to the lens are incredibly feeble. I've bought two pairs; on both pairs the hinges have broken after a few hours of use, leaving tiny little plastic shards that are far too tiny to glue. One pair fell apart when I pulled the glasses out of the pocket in my shop apron. I don't know how the second pair failed, it just fell apart when I picked it up off my bench (although I'm pretty sure it was not subjected to any major trauma).

Woodcraft's catolog has recently started carrying a similar-looking product, I have no idea if its the same manufacturer w/ the same problem.

Anyway, buyers beware. I'll let you know how the returns go.

-JBB

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

Maybe you might have spoken to Rockler for an explanation of what might have caused the problem before issuing your dire warning. These glasses could have been from a bad lot etc. since they seem to have fallen apart without any provocation. Regards, Hank

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre

I've spoken to Rockler in the past and have yet to receive a satisfactory answer. I just shop elsewhere now.

Phil

Henry St.Pierre wrote:

Reply to
Phil