Problems with Newsgroup

I was wondering if anyone was having problems downloading messages from this newsgroup lately? I posted one on March 3, and for almost a week I was unable to see any messages at all. Then, on the 9th, I was able to see the messages again, but have not been able to see any more since then.

I am able to view other newsgroups, just not rec.woodworking; so I do not think it is a problem on my end or my news server.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this I would appreciate it, ...although I do not know when I will be able to read this post or any responses it receives.

By the way, thanks for all of the information on Dust Collectors I asked about in my original post. Very helpful.

-John

Reply to
J. Russell

This is usenet. It's always working. There's always someone for whom it is broken.

If _you_ have trouble with it, then chances are that it's trouble with the news-server you use. By the looks of things you're using one from Frontiernet, your ISP, who may well be outsourcing this service to GigaNews. Now GigaNews is well-known and generally regarded as the second-best service to use, so it ought to behave itself. However ISPs these days have largely abandoned usenet. Their in-house servers are rubbish, their outsourced servers are under-funded and often bandwidth throttled. I really don't know of _any_ ISP that's giving a good usenet service these days (I buy my feed direct from SuperNews). If you're having trouble, then I suggest reading GigaNews' support newsgroups.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 20:28:07 GMT, the inscrutable "J. Russell" spake:

I've been experiencing the same intermittent thing for about 2 weeks now. Sometimes Agent won't download any messages from one of the 3 groups I track. Sometimes it's one, sometimes another, but most times all is OK. Also, I've been seeing X-ed out messages with "Message no longer available", although those were current messages uploaded since I had last downloaded, including my own. Very strange.

Starband just merged with another company and is changing things around so I figured it was part of that.

Perhaps it's gremlins; ghosts in the machine.

-- Life's a Frisbee: When you die, your soul goes up on the roof. ----

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It could be that the index file for "rec.woodworking" that your news reader stores on you hard drive is corrupted.

You can try unsubscribing from "rec.woodworking", flush the news readers cache and then re-subscribe to the wreck.

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

Guys, this is usenet, everybody uses a different news server. There is no centralized database of messages. They all replicate to one another.

If you're having a problem, it's on your end or with your newsserver.

Reply to
Larry Bud

I haven't been having any problems here and have been downloading messages daily for a couple of months. I mark the messages all-read after I scan through them and seem to get new un-read messages daily. I only take 4 groups and this one seems to have the most traffic. You might try to bring down a new list of groups and subscribe again.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike

Mike wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Cox has been having trouble with their servers.....

Reply to
Cothian

It hasn't shown up here.

Mike O.