Sharpening question

All, FINALLY broke down and changed the knives on my Dewalt planer today with the spare set that came with it. Figured it''s time as I'm about to do the final planing on some cherry and maple shelves. It's amazing how big a difference it made in noise and quality of cut. That dulling thing just kinda sneaks up on you. The manual says these should be sharpened at 42 degrees and there's an 1/8" of room for honing. That being said I realized that my large handsaw needs sharpened and it wouldn't hurt to have the Freud blade on the TS done. I roamed about the Freud website and didn't see anything about sharpening so I'm hoping this could be done locally. In the meantime it seems a good reason to buy a Forrest so I have a spare.

Now. As I'm in SW Baltimore I see Martello Knife service in Halethorpe under sharpening in the yellow pages. Anyone ever dealt with them or have any other suggestions in the Baltimore area for sharpening services?

Thanks much

Allen Catonsville, MD

Reply to
Allen

Maybe not the answer your looking for but I posed a similar question about sharpening services and was given

. I sent 5 Freud blades, came back 10 days later. I've used 2 of the blades so far, and they did an awesome job. I needed to rip some 6/4 maple today and used the newly sharpened rip blade, and was very impressed. I also needed the combo blade for ply, again, excellent job.

I'm going to send my planer knives this week.

Reply to
Nicky

How much did five blades run money wise?

Allen

Reply to
Allen Epps

Gotta wonder why I have a 20" monitor and don't use all of it.

Allen

Reply to
Allen Epps

It certainly does !

Every time you have "a problem with the feed rollers", try changing the knives. Certainly on my thicknesser, it keeps cutting fine with very blunt knives, but you have to shove the board through it by hand.

Reply to
Andy Dingley