Problems with Jet Cabinet Saw and Jointer

Purchased the Jet 3hp Left tilt Cabinet Saw about 8 weeks ago and it has been working great. Purchased the Jet 8" jointer on Friday. Got it back to the shop and found that the motor takes quite sometime to get up to full speed. Jet is going to send out a new capacitor to see if that works. Now the real bad news, using cabinet saw today cutting 1 by 5s for faceframes and motor starts to smoke. Before I could shut it down it quit. Called Jet and left a voice mail. I had a electrician come in for about 2.5 hours and check all lines and loads. He said that everything checked out perfect. I was wondering if anyone has had something like this happen or any good ideas. Thanks

Reply to
Rick Perry

If all that happened at the same period of time and if the electrician came at another time perhaps you had a brown out condition. I would call the power company and see if they were having problems.

Reply to
Leon

Planned on buying the Jet 15" planer and the 6" by 80" edge sander in the next month and a half. Now not sure what brand I will end up with. Again ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Rick Perry

Wait and hear the end of this story. That's really unusual for any Jet equipment, especially two pieces that close together. I'm sure Jet will make it right.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

Depends a lot on where the motor was made. I'm sure that JET contracts many sources. They're certainly physically unimpressive compared to the ones from days gone by, and they also make that sea voyage innocent of cosmoline, so there's undoubtedly a bit of rust to degrade the insulation on the rotor and windings.

OTOH, you'll get the same motors on most tools unless you specify, so having a manufacturer who will replace them is most important.

Reply to
George

Amazing how many times that does happen.

Just recently, and suddenly, I experienced a complete loss of 220 voltage in an almost finished, unoccupied house. The problem coincided neatly with a security company/alarm system installation that afternoon. Tendency was to blame/look for a problem caused by them, but it turned out to be that the power company had installed a new transformer in the area earlier that day and screwed up the installation.

I would have not known about the cause if I hadn't just happened to go by very late that night to check on things and caught a CenterPoint crew up the pole that feeds the dozen or so houses that were affected.

Funny thing in retrospect was the number of AC company repair trucks parked in front of resident's houses earlier that afternoon.

Reply to
Swingman