table saw mobile base

I have a General model 350 table saw with the 50" Biesmeyer fence. Since I also have a welder and a metal cutting bandsaw I am thinking about building a mobile base for it. I am planning on making something similar to the ones sold by HTC. Does anyone have any experience with this type of base? Do you have any likes or dislikes of the one you may have?

The saw is a great saw and I love the fence but the unit takes up a lot of space and it would be nice to be able to roll it around out of the way on occasion. Just wondering how well the mobile bases work with a 500# saw.

Reply to
bitternut

I have the HTC mobile base built for and sold by Jet. Mine is for the 52" rip capacity Jet cabinet saw.

I like it a lot. I like the 3 wheel configuration. 2 wheels located just off center in front and back of the saw cabinet and swivel wheel near the end of the right table extension. I never use the brakes and the saw stays where I put it. The big advantage of the 3 wheel mobile base is that it never rocks or needs to be leveled. Also consider building the out feed roller set up that HTC sells. This is all mounted on the cabinet of the saw such that you can move the saw around with the rear extension rollers in the up position. Again, no legs to level.

Reply to
Leon

If you are going to copy something copy the Delta mobile base... If you DAGS you'll find some long discussions on the pros and cons of the HTC/Jet vs. and Delta base. I've got a Delta under my Jet 3 HP Cabinet Saw with 50" fence and it works great.

The whole notion of a tri-pod wheel base sounds good but in practice I don't like it... you are always on the three wheels. I've got a Delta base under my DJ-20 jointer which works great. The HTC base under my Jet 18" bandsaw, on the other hand, is very unstable...

John

Reply to
mm

Which is fine. I have been using this set up for 5 years with no problems. No leveling, No rocking, ever.

I've got a Delta base under

Way to top heavy for a tripod.

Reply to
Leon

I bought a General 350 with a sliding table 2 weeks ago. It is still in a crate. Because the weight is up to 750 lbs, HTC suggested I order an HD model to carry it. The HTC base has the same numbering as the standard version for the 50" extension tables. With the letters HD following that number. It is a special order item, costing $100 extra

The tool dealership stood behind the HTC equipment. I guess I'll find out when this is all installed in my new shop one month from now.

Gary Curtis Los Angeles

Reply to
extiger

The HTC base under my General 650 is all but useless and was the biggest waste of $175 I've seen.

The base I'm talking about has one long leg spanning from the main body to the tray for the fence table, and two wheels centered on the main body and a third on one end. The single spanning member is too flexible. With the brakes locked, the saw will rock back very easily.

I've had to install an elaborate network of wooden wedges to stabilize the base, totally destroying any concept of mobility. Removing and reinstalling the wedges is so annoying, I seek every work around before moving the saw. The base's only value to me is that it raises the saw to a height that is more comfortable to me.

Since you've got the metalworking gear, I'd suggest a rectangular form over HTC's lollipop design. With an extra spanning member and maybe some added gussets, you'd be good to go.

I'd like to have mine modified, but getting the saw off of it is no trivial matter! 8^(

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

I'd like to clarify that the rocking is NOT due to the three wheel design. I have no complaints with three wheel bases. Three wheel bases are more stable than four wheel bases on my concrete floor. Every one of my four wheel (or footed) bases will rock on uneven floors.

The 650's rocking is most obvious when the saw is pushed from the ends, as in over the motor cover or the end of the fence table. The single spanner visibly flexes during the motion. The base is flexible enough that the operator's free hand can easily get the motion going during rips.

Bolting the saw body and table legs to the base would probably help, but is more difficult than it sounds.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

I wonder if you may have gotten the wrong base for your saw. I know that the problems you describe will happen if you got the base for the opposite tilt saw. The 2 wheels that are under the saw get placed in different positions depending on left or right tilt. Mine is the "lolly pop" design and I have probably 2 hundred pounds of extra drawers, shelves, and accessories under the right table extension and every thing is rock steady. My base also has a triangle welded at the union of the saw base and the single beam that extends out under the right table extension.

Reply to
Leon

Well since Barry basically has the same saw more or less that I have I will have to reinforce the basic design which would not be a problem. I would probably use 2x3 x1/8 tubing for the extension and 3x3x3/16 angle for the saw base. I was also planning on adding some storage drawers like Leon says he has so I could probably incorporate the frame for them into stiffening the extension part. Probably should overbuild it to begin with so I don't have to install the saw on the base more than once. I assume I will have to take the saw apart to get it on the base. I remember it was a real bear getting it into the basement by myself. Had to take it all apart so that is not a job you would want to repeat any more than you have to.

Since my basement floor is not the smoothest and most level floor around I was thinking of using two solid wheels under the saw base and one locking swivel wheel under the extension. Then I was thinking of placing two t-bolts on the outer edges of the extension that could be screwed down to contact the floor and stabilize the base.

What kind of saw do you have mounted on the base Leon?

Reply to
bitternut

Where are your wheels? I'd like to check mine.

Thanks! Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

A Jet JTAS -10 Cabinet saw. If you saw is a left tilt and the motor is on the left side you want the wheels a few inches left of the center line of the saw. If it is close to center or right of center on a left tilt the stand will be unstable and you may wind up with a see-saw effect. I never have to apply any brakes on my mobile stand as it takes some effort to just get it to rolling.

Reply to
Leon

Mine is a left tilt and the base is 22.25" wide at the saw cabinet. The wheels are located on center 9 inches from the left of the base. From what I understand right tilt saws have the wheels located to the right side of the center of the saw. If you have a left tilt setting on a right tilt base the majority of the weight will be located left of the wheels and the wheel under the right table will have less weight and be less stable. Alternatively if you have a right tilt on a left tilt base there could be too much weight situated between the wheels with the swivel wheel under the extension carrying too much weight. That situation would put a strain on the lolly pop stick union with the base. Seriously, I have to lean into the saw at the extension table end to get the saw to move with no brakes applied.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks for checking. My wheels are in the same spot.

Maybe my base has a bad weld or other defect.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Imagine.... LOL. Did yours also have the triangular reinforcement piece at the intersection of the base and the beam extending out to the end of the right table extension?

Reply to
Leon