Air compressor help!!

Hello, I have 2 Craftsman compressors giving me the same problem. They are as follows:

Model: 919.167240 - 15 gallons - 150PSi. Model: 919.165500 - 33 gallons - 135PSi.

The motors/engines work but the gages don't report any pressure. Also, after close inspection It appears to be that the tanks are in great condition. Both these items are relativeley new and I was wondering if anybody in this forum can suggest a way to troubleshoot these items. I called Sears and they say they would charge me $57.99 + parts for a minor repair or $97.95 + parts for a major repair.

Please assist. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jay

Reply to
jay.cortes

Gauges broken?

Pressure relief valve stuck open?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

check the drain valves. they are normally thumb screws on the bottom of the tanks, if they are open it would describe the condition you are reporting.

len

Reply to
leonard

The same symptoms for both sounds odd unless they are just purchased secondhand.

When you run the compressor can you hear air escaping ?

If you do hear air then where is it coming from ? Check the overpressure release valve is not stuck open. Check any water drain spigot, on the bottom of the tank.

have you got something attached to the air line ?

Is the air intake blocked ? Is the air filter clean ?

You should detect a lot of suction at the air intake if the pump is running. If not the seals might need replacing.

If it is an oiled pump is it oiled ?

At least your tank pressure gage should show a little pressure while the motor is running.

Reply to
marks542004

Bleed valve at bottom of tank open?

Reply to
remove

You either are not making any pressure, or are making it and it is leaking out .. .. .. determine which, and call us back .. .. ..

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Anonymous

Briefly lay a hand on the discharge line of the compressor (this line goes to the tank). If it is warm or hot........there is a good chance the compressor is pumping at least on some level. Caution!!!!!!!! be prepared to remove your hand quickly, in case it is very hot. If no heat, check the reed valves in the compressor head. Sears used to bo great about having parts for their tools. I havn't needed anything recently so I can't say how they are now. Good luck Lyndell

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson

Do either compressor ever shut off?....By itself? If they do... is it quiet? How long before they start up again?

Reply to
Robatoy

My Craftsman stopped moving air and I wound up taking the head off to find a read valve had gone undone. Sears had stock and I replaced them all with the provoded new screws.

Pete

Reply to
cselby