printing images to wood

after searching i find a few different methods to get images on wood

seems to be a gel that is used to extract the pigments which then adheres to the wood then the image on the wood is fixed with some other coating like a poly spray

anyone done this and have any hints

only considering just a few colors and nothing hi res

Reply to
Electric Comet

Get yourself some Lazertran waterslide decal paper for inkjet printers, print your design, soak the transfer to remove it from the backing paper and let it dry. It will dry with a white backround. Then use "real turpentine" and paint the wood with a good wet coat. Place the transfer image side up on the wood, removing all bubbles. Leave for several hours. The transfer will "soak into" the wood. Finish with any oil or spirit based varnish and the backing will be totally invisible and the graphics will be "permanent"

Reply to
Clare Snyder

never heard of those but i think i no longer have an inkjet

going the gel route and will see what happens

Reply to
Electric Comet

Electric Comet on Fri, 9 Mar 2018

09:12:54 -0800 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

I recall something about being able to transfer photo prints from the paper to boards, but the details are long forgotten.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

He still needs the inkjet to print it to the paper. Either that or a Laser printer.

We used to prototype ciircuit boards using lazer print on newsprint - iron it onto the board then disolve the paper off the back.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Clare Snyder wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I had heard about using photo paper, but not news print. What would you use to dissolve the paper?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Water. Warm, with a wee bit of soap to act as a surfactant. Soak it and rub it off. Actually IIRC we used paper from a magazine - the "glossy" magazine paper.

After ironing it to transfer the roner the paper is soaked off = soak it, then leel it - then rub off the final layer of paper.

I've been told using the packing paper from sticky l;abels works for toner transfer with NO SOAKING required - just carefully peel it off.

Have not tried it.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Have you considered screen printing?

Michael

Clare Snyder wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I was wondering if it might be water. Makes sense!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

A photo printed on paper, then placed on the wood with a good coat of water based poly works well.

This link (and many others) better describes the process.

-BR

Reply to
Brewster

Electric Comet was heard to mutter:

Mod Podge

Casper

have heard of this before but never knew is was used like this

will have to try it

Reply to
Electric Comet