Colour Samples - Link?

As you are well aware, trying to explain to someone the colour of something can be quite difficult. So I am trying to find a site (s) that gives a good rendition of common stain colours. LV has a good selection under it's dye section but the samples are only about 4 mm X 4 mm. Does anyone have a site they can recommend. Thanks, JG

Reply to
JGS

JGS asks:

AFAIK, you can only get the most general idea of any stain's coloring from a chart. Change woods, say from red oak to alder to maple, and you get 3 quite different results. They'll have the same base color, but the final results will be entirely different. Too, when you add a finish to that stain, you again change the color.

Again, AFAIK, the only really acceptable method of checking exact finish color is to make up a sample using the same wood you'll use in the project. Smarter pros do this in a large enough piece that you can mark the application and date on the back of the piece, twice, then cut it in half and send the sample home with the customer.

Pick the color you want, roughly, from a chart such as the one Lee Valley has, but never forget that it is a rough estimate of what the final color will be.

That said, try

for some results of their interior stains.
also shows stains and dyes of several types, including the Bartley gel stains.

Charlie Self

Charlie Self

on the Site Map link in the lower right. On the new window, on the left, scroll down and choose Colour Charts

Reply to
Kevin

Reply to
Upscale

Anything you find on-line will be a "rough approximation" of what you'll actually get on wood, *AT*BEST*.

Different video cards in the computer will render colors differently.

Different monitors, hooked up to the _same_ video card, will show different results.

The same monitor will show colors differently, depending on things like the 'brightness', 'contrast', and 'color temperature' settings, among others.

This is *without* considering any inaccuracies that may have crept in to the _making_ of the images.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Absolutely. I would say the color issue is so much of a problem that any online color chart is an utter waste of everyone's time. I can't even get two monitors of the same brand with two of the same video cards, with both set up exactly the same way, to agree on anything.

Reply to
Silvan

JGS asks:

Try

Save the +
Endangered SKEETS! + Web Application Programming ==========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That's the 'cheap hardware' effect.

Many "serious" color display systems (card _and_ monitor) -- i.e. ones where you're talking costs in the US$1500 and up range, do have capabilities for 'matching' displayed colors against 'reference' standards. These kind of subsystems are typically used in commercial printing 'pre press' operations, and, _when_set_up_right_, "what you see *is* what you get". You can fold a printed page in half, and hold it against the screen and it's hard to tell which is 'glass' and which is paper.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 16:20:54 -0500, Silvan brought forth from the murky depths:

Thou needst a copy of Adobe Photoshop, sir. It comest with a proggy which allowests thee to set the color true!

========================================================== Save the +

Endangered SKEETS! + Web Application Programming ==========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well, "cheap" is relative. You have to get into $BIGNUM pro stuff to avoid the problem. My monitor is somewhere in that broad spectrum of stuff between "cheap" and $BIGNUM. :)

Right. I'm sure the OP and everyone else on the Wreck has one, and I'm the only one suffering without. :)

Reply to
Silvan

A) It's extremely expensive.

B) They don't have a Linux version.

C) I got rid of my money sucking POS color printer a long time ago anyway, and got a good B&W laser. It doesn't care what color is on-screen. Everything comes out black, gray, or white.

Reply to
Silvan

Try PS Elements 2, then. IIRC, mine was about $90.

Heh.

Sort of like the recent, and depressing, weather in the MOV.

Charlie Self

Charlie Self

Hee hee! I use the built in color sync profiles so all my colors from the digital camera, to the monitor, then off to the printer are very well matched 8^)

As one poster pointed out though if you don't have complete control of the chain from colored object to final print, you don't "really" know the true color of the object (as with web page color sample charts)

-Bruce

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 18:41:12 -0700, Silvan wrote (in message ):

Reply to
Bruce

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 21:58:06 -0500, Silvan brought forth from the murky depths:

Ain't dat de effin' trufe?

True. Hmmm, does GIMP have anything like that yet?

Newp, just black. We create grays in our minds from the dots, and the white is the paper.

OBWW: I wonder what color program they use for the photography used for the fake wood floors like Pergo and Bruce.

Endangered SKEETS! + Web Application Programming ==========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I *guarantee* that's not true. _I_ don't have one, either.

My color monitor has a 1989 manufacture date on it. The computer, itself, is somewhat newer.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi