Mohawk Oxblood stain application - help me

I need a little help.

I have a piece of 8' x 4' cherry plywood. I'd like to use it as a table and was hoping to stain it with a bottle of Mohawk Oxblood finishing stain.

This stuff:

wood is right out of the lumber yard. Smooth enough for me.

Any tips on applying this stain? I tried it out on some scrap and I'm having a hard time getting the color even. I get streaking using either a brush or cloth. I'm finding it a little hard to control the darkness as well - some spots get REALLY dark.

Any ideas? I'm new to all this so there may be steps that I need to go through first...like a conditioner or something.

Also, I don't have access to a spray gun, so that's not an option for me right now.

All I want is an even color with no brush marks/overlap. It'll be used for a table top (the whole piece).

Thanks.

Reply to
googlerandy

nospambob