Pre-WWII Stanley Socket chisels -BooHoo

While my wife was doing an Antiques show this weekend I saw a poster advertising a gun show. Having never attended one even though I am a card-carrying member of NRA I decided to see what was being offered. I spent about 2 hours looking at guns I never knew existed and spent my last $30.00 buying 28 ga. skeet shells at a slight bargain price. The show was over at 4 p.m. Just before then, as I was making my way to the exit, I looked down on a table and saw four absolutely pristine pre war Stanley socket chisels with newly turned and waxed maple handles. The backs had been flattened and polished and each of them (1/4, 3/8/, 1/2, 3/4) had a polished micro bevel. Obviously this gun dealer was a woodworker who knew how to sharpen. How much? I enquired. The gun dealer said, "Well I wanted $45.00 but if you want them you can have them for $30." "OK. I'll take them. You take credit cards, right?" "Nope, I'm not set up for that. I can only take cash." No ATM close enough to get cash before he folded his tent. Damn, I wish I had not bought those shot gun shells.

Reply to
Joe Bleau

I don't know... my 28 gauge SxS is a delight to carry afield and fun to shoot so getting a bit of a deal on 28 gauge shells is always appreciated. Of course I could go through 5-6 boxes of shells in little time at the range (or grouse hunting for that matter) and the chisels would last a lot longer. ;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Sounds like you blew your wad too soon Joe.I once found an ceramic sculpture at an garage sale by an recognized artist and continued to look around and then return to the object about 5 minutes later but someone had already scooped it.

Sal

Reply to
sal