chisels

Thinking of buying a new set of chisels. Any words of wisdom about brands, ebay etc.? These are for general woodworking, not carving or building a barn.

But speaking of ebay, I am totally converted to buying older Stanley planes on ebay. The ones I have so far have needed less work to get into good shape than the junk I have purchase retail, not being able to spend $300 on a top of the line new plane.

Thanks.

Reply to
gregj

What do you think of Marples brand chisels?

Reply to
gregj

I have a set of the marples blue handled chisels. I think they are alright, though they come so far from flat that I wouldn't buy them again. Even after a couple dozen times sharpening them I still don't have a mirror lap on the back, I mean right next to the bevel is good, but further up...

If I had to do it again, I would buy a cheapo set for crappy projects, and slowly purchase really nice ones kinda as needed. In fact I might start doing that, and make the Marples my crappy set.

Andrew

Reply to
Tattooed and Dusty

I have Marple chisels also. The face of the 1 1/2 " had a low spot so deep that it took over 3 hours on a diamond stone to take out. But on the other hand that was 3 hours spent learning how to sharpen on relatively cheap chisels. In retrospect it was time well spent. Just plan on purchasing/learning a good sharpening system.

D> Thinking of buying a new set of chisels. Any words of wisdom about

Reply to
rickluce

Stanley everlast and OLD buck brothers, from before the name was sold, have a good reputation.

Reply to
fredfighter

I just bought some of the Sorby Registered Chisels, very little effort to get them sharp and they are better than anything I have used so far in my opinion. Mike Francis

Reply to
mdfranci

Veritas planes are not $300. I'd be shocked if you thought they were anything less than "top of the line". The most expensive one is $250. Mostly they are in the $150-$200 range.

Dave

Reply to
David

they suck. They won't hold an edge for 5 minutes. Literally. Sears chisels are much better, believe it or not.

Dave

Reply to
David

Thanks Dave. Guess i got a little carried away there but my point is that I think the older Stanleys are a pretty good deal.

Reply to
gregj

"gregj" wrote in news:1122580168.682216.209690 @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Think modern Stanley handplanes.

Reply to
Patriarch

"gregj" wrote in news:1122579073.315409.40120 @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Look for Stanley 720 or 750 chisels, and potentially turning your own replacement handles.

Or get out the crowbar, and order a set of Lie Nielsen reproductions.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I recommend Stubai. Read the review on the Diefenbacher website, as I own a set I entirely agree with it. They hold the edge well, when I am slamming (!) the blade into doug fir using a beech mallet, they do not take niks in the cutting edge.

I have sharpened the Stubais side by side with a Bahco/Sandvik (lots on eBay) on Norton yellow 220 A/O and the Stuabi leaves a light grey dust, a fast and easy to attain edge that is glass_smooth_razor_sharp. Perfect quality steel.

The Sandvik (Sweden) leaves it very dark and "gummy" (so to speak) and a harder to attain, not_as_good edge. These equalize with the cheap chrome vanadium chisels from woodworker's supply, a set of which I have (blue plastic handles, super cheap).

I have new Buck bros. chisels (hickory handles with leather tops) that are a better steel that the Sandviks but they are RC 59 and did take some niks, not hard enough. When sharpening, they leave a non gummy color that is merely darker than the Stubais, but a powder and not as dark as the Sandvik.

Other folks in here recommend Two Cherries (a TON!), lots of hard work to flatten the backs from too much machine polishing.

Stuabi are cheaper and just as worth it:

Austria, very flat backs. Don't let the low price fool you.

Reply to
AAvK

I agree, I have several old Stanley planes from eBay and one #8 from a local junk shop, all excellent buys and quality. 'Cept I dislike the #6 type 8.

Reply to
AAvK

I must be the only one who is getting good service out of my Marples blue-handles. I got five of 'em for about $85.00. They don't keep an edge forever, but it's a while between sharpenings. They take an edge pretty easy.

Marples are, OK.

Not great. But OK.

Bill

AAvK wrote:

Reply to
mcnutt

I hear you. It's a pretty common refrain on line that if one can find an older Stanley, they've got themselves a workable plane.

Dave

Reply to
David

What year did you purchase them? vintage seems to be the key to the level of quality.

Dave

Reply to
David

Interestingly, Frank Klaus recommended these specifically (with the caveat that they probably aren't for the /professional/ woodworker, and more expensive chisels will hold an edge longer, but not necessarily any better edge).

I haven't had any problem with mine holding an edge, but I didn't [feel the need to] spend $300 on them, either.

-- Michael Campbell

Reply to
Michael Campbell

Reply to
Bill D

When _did_ BB go downhill? After 1972 or after 1913/1915? It'll be easier to find some chisels in reasonably good shape if the later year is the time you're referring to.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

I've got a set of Stanleys, and they serve me well- just keep a stone handy for occasional touch-ups. If you get an initial hollow grind going, a quick honing only takes a minute or so. They take a good keen edge- something that is not always true of the HSS or other specialty cutting tools. Those pricey ones are designed to keep the edge you give them, but not necessarily to get the sharpest edge possible. YMMV.

Reply to
Prometheus