I think I got a gloat

If anybody remembers the thread about the 60' bandsaw, I just got back from the auction where it was mentioned. There was indeed no 60' bandsaw at the auction. There WAS a 14' Buffalo, a lathe of undetermined manufacture (it was battleship grey), and several other power tools, mostly craftsman. I didn't get any of them.

I *did* however, get a few things. I spent 22.50 on a box containing miscellaneous jars full of miscellaneous fasteners, AND two rollup pouches, one containing about eight old, well-used but cared-for chisels, a few of them with wooden handles that looked OLD. The other pouch had various screwdrives, one of them an old push-type Yankee, with all the pieces still in the head. They actually auctioned off the choice of about ten boxes, all filled with miscellaneous junk, among them that box. I got high bid, reached out and grabbed it, and all around me, in unison, I heard the word "damn!". I guess a few others had checked out that particular box too. The auctioneer asks if I want any more, I said no, and then he asks what was it about that box? I unfold the pouch with the chisels and he directs a few choice words at the helper.

30 bucks for a Sargent 409 plane, 25 bucks each for a Stanley #7 and a Stanley Bailey K6. $17.50 for two stanley block planes, one looks old, the other fairly new. I've been trying to date the Stanleys. So far, at this website:
*think* I have the #7 dated to about 1931. I'm having a hard time believing it, but for the K6 I keep coming up with about 1888. I keep thinking I must be missing something. If true, I'm just gloating because I love having really old stuff.

I now have some work to do, since it was raining and drizzling the whole time, and every plane is now rusted. There was no getting around it. When they're holding the auction in the drizzlin rain, outside, just letting everything get wet, you end up with wet tools. If I remember right, steel wool and WD40 will take care of it. Anybody got any other suggestions? I mean besides "Take 'em apart and wipe 'em off!" I already did that.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

I thought I hear the sound of suckage over my router this afternoon ... it was you.

Congratulations ... you suck!

Reply to
Swingman

If the plane has "K6" specifically cast into the body, and it looks like a Stanley Bedrock 606, then it isn't. It's most likely a Keen Kutter K6, very similar to a Stanley Bedrock 606, and worth almost as much. I'd pay over a hundred for one in really good shape. Odds are it's not that old. Somewhere there's a type study for Keen Kutter planes, but I dunno where.

Anyway, definitely a good deal. If the roll of chisels happen to be Stanley Everlasts, then you seriously suck. They're selling for around fifty bucks

*each* on eBay lately.

Jon E

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE

On Sun 14 Sep 2003 06:56:42p, "Jon Endres, PE" wrote in news:_e79b.838$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.news.adelphia.net:

After spending most of the weekend cleaning 'em, I finally managed to notice that I *was* missing something - it does say K6, but the word "Stanley" doesn't appear anywhere. I have a Keen Kutter K6, as you say. According to what I find so far it's the Bedrock, made for KK by Stanley, circa 1920. Still got the Keen Kutter blade in it. Except for length and not being corrugated, it's just like the ones about midway down this page:

Anyway, definitely a good deal. If the roll of chisels happen to be

I ain't that lucky. There's four Stanley 60's with that clear yellow metal- capped composite whateveritis handle, and one Stanley wooden-handled socket chisel. Then there's a Craftsman with a composite handle, a Craftsman wooden-handle socket, and one extremely used oddball. Looks homemade by somebody who knew what he was doing. The blade says "Red Streak" with some sort of lightning bolt going around it, and the words High Speed with a diamond between the words, with "3 20" inside the diamond. Strange. Very solid. It was the wooden handled ones that got me interested enough to spend the 20 bucks.

So, not as strong a gloat as I thought, but I'm not complaining. I just wish I could shake this odd feeling. It's as though I had one foot poised at the top of a slippery slope...

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Sounds like the Satanley is an Everlast type. Short stubby rounded handle? Anyway, still a good deal.

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE