Ebay - paid too much?

Record #7 jointer plane, plastic handles: $93 Stanley #4 smoothing plane, rosewood handles: $37

Not new, but seem to be never used - very nice condition.

First and second items I've ever bought. I don't get to garage sales, so these seemed like good deals to me.

-Bob

Reply to
Bob

For reference prices, a new Record #7 is $119 and a new Stanley is $56. The prices seem reasonable, if the tools are virtually new.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

I think you could have done better. One thing you can do before bidding is look at completed auctions. Do your normal search and then when the results pop up in the left-hand menu select "completed auctions". [There are many ways to get there from here, this is just one technique] From the completed auctions search screen you will see the items that closed in the last month and how much they went for. It's a good way to do a quick price comparison. Looks like most #4s went in the $20-30 range, with a few less and a few more. However, it always depends on condition, specific model, rarity, etc.

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

Very nice condition makes it a reasonable deal in my mind. I bought a new #7 Stanley for $65 one time. I think the price you paid for the #7 is close to the new price for them.

If the #4 has rosewood handles, then it is an older model and probably is a good plane.

Both planes may require tuning up, but that is part of the fun. Full width, translucent shavings is the goal. My 604 Stanley will make shavings on end grain. If the plane will do that, your in pretty good shape. :-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes