Powermatic Cabinet Saw

Have a line on an old Powermatic Model 66 cabinet saw. Table rusted, but I do not think it is pitted badly. Blade insert appears to be bowed slightly. Overall condition is dusty and dirty. Blade height and tilt adjustments are stiff. Only 1 drive belt, space for 3. Anyone know if this is (was) a good saw? Any idea if parts might still be available? I have a hunch this might clean up pretty fair. Person is asking $500. Any idea if this is a fair price?

Thanks MB

Reply to
nevems2

Sounds high to me. Old and rusted. Warped insert? Missing 2 of the 3 belts sounds like "rode hard and put up wet". It "was" a good saw for sure.

Reply to
Leon

Even if it is it doesn't matter.

You'll be throwing it away for a zero clearance anyway.

No big deal.

Pop the top, give it a good cleaning and lube it.

Buy three new, throw away the one and you're set.

Yes I do.

The saw is still being sold by P-Matic so the answer will be yes.

So far so good.

You haven't mentioned motor condition or phase. Add $300ish for a new motor from Pete at Plaza if it's needed.

You've not mentioned fence. Add $300ish for a Biesememyer if it's needed.

In the end, you have the potential of $500 for a $2000ish saw or maybe $1100ish for a $2000ish saw.

I'll leave it to you to decide.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

I had a 66 for about 12 years from 1973. It was fine then, or better than anything I had used before. I did have all the belts on it.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Ask not with whom the buck stops . . .

Reply to
Rodney Myrvaagnes

Sounds exactly like a twin brother to the saw I bought about 4 years ago. Had to spend some time it to clean it up and put on new belts. Installed all new bearings in it last year, costed about $50 for arbor & motor bearings at a local bearing shop. Picked up a Beismeyer on their closeout web site for $200. I now have a $775 Powermatic that I wouldn't trade for the world.

-- John, in Minnesota

Reply to
John, in MN