Powermatic Bandsaw # 043 Questions

I am considering picking up the above unit from a guy for 250.00. It has been stored in his garage for some time, and is reportly suppose to have only a couple of hours run time on the unit. I have taken a look (we have not started it up) and saw some surface rust on guide rollers, but evertthing else looks pretty good.

Is there something else (other than starting it up) I should be looking at? does anyone own one of these saws, or any opinions on the unit. Anyone have any good places for replacement parts if they are necessary? as a google search brought back limited hits that were revelent.

SteveA

Reply to
SteveA

Where is it? I'll be glad to go look at it for you. :-)

Powermatic is marketed by The WMH Tool Group. They also market Jet tools. They should have parts.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

If it runs and cuts wood it's worth $250.

Just make sure all the parts are there and no castings are broken or severly rusted (pitted). Powermatic is still in business so you should be able to contact them for information about spare parts. Bearings and tires can be obtained from several sources even if Powermatic doesn't have them. Carter is one source for these and your local bearing supplier is likely the cheapest source for bearings that you will find. Several after market fence systems are available if you should need to replace that.

Charley

Reply to
Charley

Cutting a perfect curvy sample or two will tell everything you need to know about its value. Try a sample with a tilted table too. Rust hurts the accuracy of most tools.

Reply to
Phisherman