Is this a hand plane? Any info?

Hi there!

I just saw this, which I think it may be a woodworking tool, but I'm not sure. To me, it seems to be a rare type of rabbet plane, or something like that. BUT, the "bed" angle seems extreemely steep (maybe scraper), and I don't know.. but can't figure out exactly how the fence would work. I just uploaded a few pictures of it, and here are the links:

there any info known about this one? I can't see any maker name stamped on either the wood or the steel. Any info is really appreciated!

Thanks very much!!! Nautilus

Reply to
nautilus

What popped to my mind was a Formica edge trimmer. The steep bed angle would be fine for that but the section projecting out the front wouldn't be needed...

Don't know what it is (a dedicated to a manufacturing process tool), but do know what it's not - a woodworking plane.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Appears to be a scraper, although it looks a little heavy for most woodworking applications. Could possibly have been a metalworking tool, or one for for a trade such as printing.

Looks as though it may have another fence on the right side, which would make it useful for planing/scraping items to thickness on the bench. Such as for inlays fishing rod sections, or something of that sort.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

> Is there any info known about this one? I can't see any maker name

Looks like mounting lugs on what looks like a baseplate. It's a part of another tool or machine.

Reply to
Father Haskell

I'd think the 'lugs' would be to attach a wooden sole - like on a Stanley 12 1/2. Curious tool.

RicodJour

Sun, Feb 24, 2008, 10:27am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (nautilus) doth queryeth: Is there any info known about this one?

Could be wrong of course, but it' resembles a note maker. Those were used long ago, before note paper was invented, and paper was very expensive to make. You took a block of nice straight grained wood, set one of these on top, carefully aligned with the edge of the wood. Then you slammed down the round part on thop, which drove a blade down thru the wood, shaving off a ery thin piece. This was was then written along and passed to the appropriate person. The only problem then was if you had a private note for someone, you had to make sure they could read before you sent the note. Neat, eh?

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Reply to
J T

I think this looks like some kind of rebating plane. Forerunner to routers etc. ...

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

My bet - leather tool