Making a plane hammer

On making a plane hammer I am curious about wood for the head, as I can't work with brass, I have a head of purple heart cut out and ready to drill for the handle's tenon. But when I was planing it to smooth (or, tryng to) it merely gained a lot of tear-out (multi directional grain, it seems) and seems to be a very chippy wood. So I wonder, if there is any common or exotic wood that can deal with tapping the blade, a hard enough wood, what would it be?

Reply to
AAvK

Dan Kratville

I've use Ipe for "pound-a-peg" hammer heads. Anything that can withstand energetic two year olds, should be able to stand up to hammering on your plane. twitch, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Hard Maple or Ironwood or Lignum Vitae! Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 20:14:30 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "AAvK" quickly quoth:

Do It! These are great little hammers.

Ohmigod, they're $24.50 now! I got one last year for $17.50! That's a 40% jump since April 2005!

=========================================================== Save the Endangered Bouillons from being cubed!

Hilarious T-shirts online ===========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

My favorite mallet has an apatong head.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

I remember that price, and thought about it. But these days as values grow and change and mature in "neander" thinking... not a chance in the almighty face of human creativity! Even then, if I were to buy one, it would be the Knight. But thanks.

Reply to
AAvK

That's cool, seriously hard wood? Where is it from?

Reply to
AAvK

your plane.

Ipe, also called Greenheart and Pao Lope and loaded with silicates like my Arkansas stones... I wonder if it would ruin the teeth of my hand saws. I do have some pieces of it tho...

Reply to
AAvK

"AAvK" wrote in news:Tepuf.2550$eR.2403@fed1read03:

Steve's hammers are made by Chester Tool Works.

're sweet.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Just got an LV catalog today. Price for said plane hammer is $19.50 US

Mark & Juanita

Did you buy one? Thanks for the reminder on who makes them, I had forgotten. Actually, as sweet as they are and no doubt about it, too expensive for me, I just took a gander from your link.

It makes much more sense to be creative about it at this (my) level, and something to be proud of... I just don't know how I will get the lignum head accurately mortised by hand.

Reply to
AAvK

the wood or the mallet?

the mallet I made from apatong salvaged from a shipping container used to transport a boat from IIRC either the phillipines or Indonesia to the USA. I'm assuming that they used it for the shipping container because it was local and cheap.

looks like this is it:

I've been spelling it wrong all this time: Apitong.

it's hard and heavy. makes a good mallet head.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

The mallet "head"? You answered. Thank you, it sounds good and I'll ask the owner at Soboba woods about it. And thanks for the link, I read it.

Reply to
AAvK

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 21:02:38 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Mark & Juanita quickly quoth:

And they're not cheap! I just can't get my head around paying $50 for a hammah. I simply can't, crowbars notwithstanding.

Confirmed. I just figured out my pricing error. The page defaulted to Canuckistani Ducats vs. Devalued Shrubbucks. Mea culpa. The price is just $19.50USD

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 20:11:49 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "AAvK" quickly quoth:

Drill the basic shape and pare out the rest with a chisel. (Fill any mistakes with epoxy. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"AAvK" wrote in news:gVHuf.2618$eR.2239@fed1read03:

I bought one, with a plane, a year or so ago, during one of Steve's sales. I'd looked at building one of my own, and then dropped the idea, because finding the 'proper' materials seemed to be a PITA. There were (and are still) more pressing items on the to-do list.

The hammer works well, the dozen or so times I've used it. Life gets busy, and this tool doesn't get use much remodeling a master bathroom. At least the way I do it.

For a tool making project, though, making a small hammer seems to be a good place to begin. Enjoy building yours!

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch