Plans for a Shed

I have a brother (who lives in a different city) who is severely challenged when it comes to WW and carpentry skills. This same brother wishes to build a shed , about 10X10' on a concrete pad. I goggled around and found lots of sites and some discussion in the archives of this group on various plans. But I did not find anyone in this group who would recommend a particular vendor of good plans. Sooooo.... can someone recommend a vendor and/or a set of plans for a shed. Any other information, tips, ect, relevant to building a shed would be appreciated. Thanks for you help, JG

Reply to
JGS

building a shed

Try going to a store like Home Depot. They probably sell a shed kit with all materials and a plan. That should be the simplest route for your brother to take.

Ken Muldrew

You probably didn't really get a recommendation because most of the plans are pretty Generic. A shed is a shed for the most part I do know that Lowes has a book or two on building sheds. I think it contains plans.

Reply to
Young Carpenter

Any of the BORG sell plans, _and_ also sell complete sets of materials.

If his skills are as 'challenged' as you imply, he might also want to look at one of the metal/vinyl ones from somewhere like Sears.

Reply to
admin

Heh. I got a shed kit from my usual (trusted) lumberyard. After the wood was delivered, I called and asked if they could fax me the plans to go with it. Sorry, no plans - we just fill out an estimation sheet and send the materials. Don't you know how to make a shed? So I called my Dad. Why do you need plans to build a shed? It's just like building your house, but without all the options. Just build it. So I'm just building it. So far so good :-)

Reply to
DJ Delorie

U-Build plan # B-2004. They may have a website. Hank

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre

Reply to
C Cole

Reply to
C Cole

About 12 years ago I went to 84 Lumber and bought a shed "kit". It included all the siding, ply, shingles, etc. to build a 10' x 12' little barn style shed. All of the materials were just pulled from standard stock, except that the frame was a number of pre-built "truss" type structures. Plans and such were included. I believe that I had to buy nails and paint separate if I remember correctly. Basically needed a skil-saw, hammer, screwdriver, ladder and paint brush to complete and it came out nice for a shed. Last time I drove past that house (I moved a few years later) it still looked great. I still see the "truss" units stacked outside of the local 84 Lumber and some other such yards, so they still sell these type of "kits".

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

I'll say this. I was designing a shed and using all the books available, etc. I came up with a great shed. Big $$$'s though. I went over to home depot and walked into one of their sheds. Not much to them at all and very cheap to build yourself.

Go to home depot with a tablet and write down their design. Take a few pictures of the inside. If you use designs from books or if you try to design it yourself you'll tend to over design - meaning you'll build a shed that can survive a nuclear blast - but you really dont need one.

Perfect example is that I recently built a bridge. It cost about $250 in material. It will last at least 500 years. I could have built a darn good bridge for about $50.00. Would have lasted maybe 20 years.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Hopkins

All I can say is that I am glad that I overbuilt my shed. Hurricane Isabel hit us full force and I didn't even lose a shingle.

Reply to
Montyhp

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre

Reply to
JGS

now that I look back at my reply I realized what a calloused carpenter remark i made :). To me it's a given to create a foundation, floor, walls and a roof. To some, they would say, "ah'yup but how?"

Reply to
Young Carpenter