Plans for a storage shed?

Hi All,

So, I'm moving into a new apartment on Thursday. It's a nice sized place, but there is no storage. I've got three bikes and two boards to store. Not to mention some camping gear, ski stuff, etc.

Any ideas on where or how to store this stuff? I'd like to keep it out of the house. Or should I say, my girlfrind would like it if I kept it out of the house. Here is a picture of the place:

I'd like to build or buy an inexpensive shed that I can set up near the house. It's got to be portable/unobtrusive/and not ghetto, as this is a nice place and I don't think my landlord will go for a shit box. There is lots of room around the cottage, and there is a retaining wall behind the structure. Would a makeshift structure and a tarp work? Would my gear be too exposed to the elements? Any ideas, or specific plans, are appreciated!

My RRD thanks you.

Reply to
Steve B

There is a detailed set of plans for a 9' x 13' storage shed in Popular Mechanics, Vol 181, No.3 March 2004, page 92-97. It looks easy to build and is really neat. Check it out.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Orr

How is a makeshift structure with a tarp not a shit box?

Reply to
Ron

Steve,

What's "inexpensive"?... I have an 8x8 shed in my yard and the cost of material was around $700 IIRC. Unless you find a really creative way to come by materials... It's going to be at least $500... alot to invest in somebody elses property.

FWIW, my materials costs were basically no different than homecenter kits so there is no huge savings there. I did it simply because with raw material I could go with my own design.

Is there any luck that you could get the landlord to shoulder some of the cost?

OK, this is woodworking hericy, but rubbermaid makes a "shed" that I saw at Sams. It's not really cheaper, but you can't beat the ease of assembly.

-s

Reply to
Stephen M

Since the need is immediate, how about renting a small spot in a nearby storage facility - the kind which has a garage door on it and is not temperature-controlled. Rent it for the minimum time while you figure out what to do for the longer term. You may find that other "stuff" does not fit as a result of the move. Sounds like your recreation "gear" has outgrown your storage capacity. Once the gear is stashed in a rental unit, you can see about how large the shed must be.

Is the new place a condo, apartment, cottage or house? The picture does not include parking. Is this whole facility for you or do other tenants exist?

In order to defray the cost and satisfy the owner, see if they will let you build it, subject to their approval, and rebate the cost out of your rent over time. If you don't have to ultimately pay for it, it can be larger and more pleasing to the neighborhood.

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

Fri, Feb 20, 2004, 8:47am snipped-for-privacy@primelink1.net (Stephen=A0M) says: What's "inexpensive"?... I have an 8x8 shed in my yard and the cost of material was around $700 IIRC.

My little shop is 8'X12', and cost me $785, complete with window. However, I didn't make it. I shopped around and found a guy who prefabs them, and then assembles them at your location. Mine was up in about 4 hours. With my joints it would have taken me a week or more, easily, and probably cost me at least as much for materials, even with a "kit". The guy does different sizes, for an adjusted price, and I'm quite happy with mine. Last I checked, his prices were about the same. I'm in central NC.

JOAT Georges Clemenceau supposedly said, "War is too important a matter to be left to the military". If this is so, it is then obvious that peace is too precious to be left to politicians.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 19 Feb 2004. Some tunes I like.

J T

Wife forbade my bringing the motorcycle into the house the first couple of winters in this house so She (the bike) sat under a tarp.

One early winter day Wife came home to find my Other Lover in the living room. She didn't raise much of a fuss as she knew she would be handed a tarp and pointed to the side walk.

The next year Wife was a bit more forceful in her objections. Damned near ran her over while bringing Scooter in the front door. Then I put the front tire in a corner and did a burnout. Took weeks for the tire smell to go away.

Point being, you cant stay pussy whipped your whole life. Next thing you know she'll be bitching about the toilet seat being left up, or worse, you'll find a fuzzy or padded seat cover which you'll have to hold up so you can piss while standing. Every Guy I know that has let their woman put one of these padded seats on the toilet look so beaten ....

Your screwed. First problem I see is the slope of the land. Your going to have to back fill to get it level. Your land lord probably won't go for this unless you intend to leave the shed. Dirt may be cheap but the hauling sucks.

There is that nice little building to the right in the picture, why not store the stuff there? Or are you going to let her take over everything?

;}

Reply to
Mark

Thanks for the flashback...

I was a little kid. Really little. Pre elementary school?

Spending the week at my grandmother's house... She had a puffy toilet seat.

At my height, my dick was pretty much right at the level of the rim of the bowl.

WHAM!

The round thing on the bottom of the seat smacked me against the rim, just where you might imagine. My poor penis turned grape purple almost immediately.

I will NOT have one of those damn puffy toilet seats in my house!

Reply to
Silvan

Thats why I added a 1/2 bath right off my entry way. This way I don't have to take anything off (muddy boots) to use the can. No puffy seats allowed in there.

BGP

Reply to
Bert and Eileen Plank