Question about a box

I am making plans to build an ornamental box that will actually be 2 boxes with one stacked on top of the other. The lower box will be hinged to the upper box. which acts as a cover for the lower box. The cover of the upper box will have a glass window in the top and will contain a book of poems. The insides of both boxes will be felt lined. My question is this. How do I gain access to the book of poems in the top box without hinging a lid on the top box. I could make it accessible from underneath but that sounds sort of jerry-rigged. Any suggestions.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Orr

Bill Orr asks:

Jury-rigged. Jerry-built.

Have you thought of a sliding bottom, or top, for the top box? If I did a sliding bottom, I'd use a fixed end on the bottom (slides with the bottom) to allow me to arrange things properly.

Charlie Self "Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin

Charlie Self

Thu, Feb 19, 2004, 10:16pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Bill=A0Orr) My question is this. How do I gain access to the book of poems in the top box without hinging a lid on the top box.

You really sure you couldn't have sat down for 5 minutes and thought of some way to do it? Options:

  1. It's a book of poems, so who cares.
  2. Make a lift off top.
  3. Make a drawer.
  4. Make one side so it slides, lifts, or hinges, open, or is held in place with magnets.
  5. Take it out from the bottom.
  6. Hinge the top.
  7. Don't use glass, then no one can tell.
  8. Hang a small hammer on one side.

JOAT Georges Clemenceau supposedly said, "War is too important a matter to be left to the military". If this is so, it is then obvious that peace is too precious to be left to politicians.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 19 Feb 2004. Some tunes I like.

J T

You really sure you couldn't have sat down for 5 minutes and thought of some way to do it? Options:

  1. It's a book of poems, so who cares.
  2. Make a lift off top.
  3. Make a drawer.
  4. Make one side so it slides, lifts, or hinges, open, or is held in place with magnets.
  5. Take it out from the bottom.
  6. Hinge the top.
  7. Don't use glass, then no one can tell.
  8. Hang a small hammer on one side.

JOAT Georges Clemenceau supposedly said, "War is too important a matter to be left to the military". If this is so, it is then obvious that peace is too precious to be left to politicians.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 19 Feb 2004. Some tunes I like.

left out two option, J.T.

  1. Go buy a box
  2. Don't ask anyone named JT for any suggestions (o:
  3. I considered all your options, SA. I thought someone here may have some better ideas.

Cheers, Bill

Reply to
Bill Orr

Top Box, blind rout out for glass on three sides. Insert glass. Now you have a NEW problem: how to finish fourth side so glass doesn't slide out if the box were ever tipped the other way.

Reply to
Len

Now there is a novel idea. I could put some kind of rotating metal or plastic tab on the open side to hold the glass in. I f I do it that way, maybe I won't have to hinge the top box to the bottom box. The box would just have a thick hollow lid .I could always hinge the glass by epoxying hinges to the glass. That may not work though.

Thanks for responding Bill

Reply to
Bill Orr

You're right, it won't work.

Epoxy won't bond to glass, even if you etch it with HF acid beforehand.

HTH

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Trap door in the bottom of the hinged to lid. Dave

TeamCasa

big snip

What is going in the bottom box? Could you possibly hinge the side of both top and bottom box?

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Thanks, HTH, I thought epoxi was what is used to glue rear view mirrows on windshields. I'll have to find out what kind of adhesive that is.

Regards Bill

Reply to
Bill Orr

If you hinged both top and bottom on the side, you'd have a box, holding a book. that opened like a book. You could use a nice brass clasp to hold the top closed.

Ed

Reply to
Ed G

glass.

beforehand.

mirrows on

You are correct, epoxy is used to bond glass - e.g. Dymax and 3M epoxies

Handymann